MSB vs dCS Bartok

Thinking about the MSB Premier vs dCS Bartok in a active ATC speaker rig.

I want to consolidate my system down from a Naim NDS/252 front end. 
So as a one box DAC/streamer/preamp. which should be better ?

rfc
rfc OP
But It’s not as dynamic compared to the Naim NDS /252 preamp I had before.

Somethings not right, this is what a HiFi-News review by Ken Kessler had to say about the Premier’s dynamics.

Ken Kessler
"The Byrds’ 12-string jingle-jangle, is disarmingly well-recorded, and the MSB Premier extracted everything it could from the lush harmonies.

While The Hollies and The Beach Boys vie for the title of ’best harmonizing in a rock group context, The Searchers were no slouches either. This cover of the sublime PF Sloan composition treats the listener to dynamic swings and passages of sublime delicacy countered by the anger of the message. The Premier moves with the music so skillfully, so suavely that I was driven to A/B it with the LP.

The Premier? So lusciously liquid and resonant I was hard-pressed to accept the total absence of glassiness."
This is from the lab test.  https://www.hifinews.com/content/msb-premierpowerbase-modular-dac-lab-report
" Tested via its balanced XLRs in variable ’Low Output’ mode, and with the volume set to ’100’, the Premier delivers a maximum 1.675V from a moderate 36ohm source impedance."
1.7v is very low, did you try the "High Output Mode" which is some 3.6v output?

Cheers George
It’s OK and not bright. But It's not as dynamic (compared to the Naim NDS /252 preamp) I had before. It’s soft with vocals, bass is not punchy enough
@rfc I have a similar -- identical -- experience right now with the Select. Midrange is fine, and there seems to be a bloom in the lower mids. It would seem that I am missing high frequencies and the bass is not punchy, it doesn't go very low -- basically, I'm missing resolution. Adding the reclocker (Ideon Master Time) made an important improvement as did changing to a single-core power cord (tightened the sound). 
I am probably doing something wrong and /or I am not used to R2R sound?

Hi George, yes it’s set up with the “high output”. I suspect that I really do need the Renderer Module. Using an Analysis Plus digital coax cable , not sure it’s the best was to deal with the digital signal. 
I can only assume that I perhaps have not had enough “break in time” , although unlikely, as it’s had well over 100 hours so far.

Its totally smooth and a non fatiguing sound that is pleasant. Just lacking the urgency and upbeat sound of great rock music that I love. If all I had was jazz, Country, Blues, or classical music then life would be great. Unfortunately I have a vast rock/pop music collection and I am getting nervous that I have made a huge mistake.

In hindsight that dCS Bartok was really in another league to this MSB Premier, well for my music taste anyway.
i’m very sorry for your plight. i’ve definitely been there. suggestions from a long((very) time gear trading audionut.
1. don’t judge for a couple of weeks
2. if you’re still not happy i would suggest NOT pouring more money into it. if you don’t like the basic machine the upgrades won’t fundamentally change the character of the sound.
3. if you bought it new and your dealer is a good person and has other lines, figure out what might be better suited to your tastes. they generally don’t like the situation but your unit is new. be firm that if he/she won’t take it back for something else then you feel duped. now i’m way ahead of myself not knowing the dealer or your system but darn sure let him/her know you’re not happy. the sooner the better and seriously don’t add anything to the machine until you’re happy with the base unit. you didn’t ask for my advice so toss it if it has no merit.