Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Hello Thiel aficionados,

I have a friend who is building a new home and he is going to have a bonus room above the garage that will be a dedicated man cave (in the sky). He has asked me to assist him in putting together a $5k system, using new or used components. I'm keeping an eye on the local Craigslist to see if anything pops up.

There is a pair of gloss black Thiel CS2.3 available locally. They were purchased new in 2000 from a local hi-end shop and they have all of the original packaging and accessories. Currently asking a tic over $1000. Is this a potentially good option at this price? 

Thanks for any feedback or guidance. Not locked into Thiel, just searching locally for a good value in a hi-end speaker.
@reubent, When considering Thiel’s; leave ample room in the budget for amplification. Not all Thiel’s have the same amplifier requirements. Also consider placement and seating position.  
Reubent - a general note: The 2.3 was the first generation of the passive coax. That coax and the woofer were bettered by the 2.4. But the crossover topologies are the same, and many of the values are same or similar. Eventual performance upgrades will apply to both models, and 2.4 drivers should become retrofittable to 2.3s with appropriate XO changes.
@vair68robert

Cardas Audio recommended 11 ga input on the woofer but Tom T steered me to this solution:
Woofer: input 15 + 17.5 twisted together (effective gauge 13)
output to woofer: 15
Coax: input 15
output 17.5

Note that you have to tin the Cardas Litz. I bought a solder pot for this purpose (Cardas charges $5 per end). PM me if you want my solder pot. Tom also instructed me to hand twist +/- wires to, IIRC, three turns per inch.

The final result was very satisfying. Hard to describe in words . . . Sort of snapped the soundscape into a coherent focus. A nice culmination to all the upgrades I made to the XO.

Also, I used the opportunity to make my 2.4s bi-wirable, replaced the single pair of OEM binding posts (which were partly brass) with two pairs of Cardas CPBP (rhodium over silver). I used Cardas jumper plates to compare bi- vs single runs of speaker cables. IME, the biwire solution sounded more liquid and engaging.

I’m a happy camper. Had my DAC upgraded (Ayre QB-9 Twenty) and that is probably the last change I will make to my system other than to try Tom’s baffle treatment on the 2.4s.
Thank You @beetlemania

Tom's solution looks like a more balanced increase in guage ,
than going from 15.5 mids to 11.5 which might be to much .

I"ll have to learn the hand twist +/- to 3 turns per inch ,
how much longer per foot does the twisting add ?

I have already worked with Caradas wire ,
I'm using a 96.5% tin , 3% silver and .5% copper bar in the solder pot .

I'm a 97.5% vinyl and 2.5% CD guy
( only because some albums are not available or to expensive ) . 

Do you bi-amp with your bi-wiring ?

Rob