Has anyone else auditioned something that really was terrible?

I decided to check out Rotel on current B&W 804's, since I figured these speakers would be most similar to my older 803"s.Even the sales person had to admit it was not something I would want to listen to for any length of time.Do people buy this for background music?For around $4000 for a CD and integrated amp, it was not impressive. to say the least. It actually sounded like my first preamp, a Crown IC something or other.
Someone gave me a 125 wpc Marantz surround receiver.  I plugged it in and listened for 5 minutes, then permanently re-boxed it to sell, if I ever get around to it. It is totally unlistemable.
Am I just spoiled?
128x128danvignau
I visited a very hi end dealer a few years ago to audition the much hyped Focal Sopra 2s. They were connected to an  Aestetix setup. The sound was very schrill and lacked smooth transitions from mid to highs.  I asked that we switch to his VAC setup. Small difference but not much. I remember being very disappointed after all the great reviews I had read. 
Probably the best sounding amps for the money are made by Spark/Cayin. Spark makes all Prima Luna line. I only consider stereo based on ~~reputation~~~ by seasoned audiohiples. And photos of the inner guts. A picture tells a  thousand words. 
Marantz would never count in my consideration.
The other lines worth mentioning are Line Magnetic and ...thats about it.

Has anyone else auditioned something that really was terrible?

Real music doesn’t sound like a drilling machine or will serve you real pain. You may like the music or not, but real acoustical pain some manufacturers serve...can be only compensated with a high price tag or a lot of advertising...
My most horrible hours
Amps (Pre or Power): Mission, Rotel, Naim, Goldmund Telos, Pass Phonos (all)
Speakers: JMLab Grand Utopia (maximum pain with Accuphase or Goldmund)
Turntables: Garrard 501, Linn LP12 (any), Rockport Sirius III
Tonearms: Goldmund T3F, Clearaudio (any), Triplanar VII+
Cartridges: Clearaudio Goldfinger, Lyra Kleos, Zyx Omega

There are very few awful components and speakers. When considering the price, most products offer very nice performance, that is, among the HiFi products. Mid and Low Fi, it's a total crap shoot. 

A total POS that deserved to die was the Advent SoundSpace Control. I drove over it with my car. Have pics to prove it!  :) 
I visited a very hi end dealer a few years ago to audition the much hyped Focal Sopra 2s. They were connected to an Aestetix setup. The sound was very schrill and lacked smooth transitions from mid to highs. I asked that we switch to his VAC setup. Small difference but not much. I remember being very disappointed after all the great reviews I had read.

Yeah, I almost included the Sopra line in my post. They are well marketed, so I have a heard them a number of times. The Utopia line is perfectly fine sounding, so I am open to changing my conclusion about the Sopras if I encounter them again.