What country builds the best audio equipment?

I remember not so long ago when audio equipment was mainly a home grown product with the exception of Japan here in the U.S. Today it’s a global market with competition from every corner of the world. I use to think here in the U.S was were the best equipment was being built, but now I’m not sure.
Built quality and performance seems to be lacking a little here in the states with few exceptions compared to what’s being produced over seas and up to the north. So what country is the best equipment coming from? Maybe it’s still the U.S, but if pure aesthetics says anything I would say not.
As for Sonics tough to call, maybe still here in the U.S? 
hiendmmoe
Is this akin to a total medal count at the Olympics?  While there may be an overall medal winner, if one's interest is particularized (like being interested in gymnastics, but not swimming), the answer might be quite different.  In music systems, I like high efficiency speakers that sound good at low volume and amplification that matches such speakers (low-powered tube gear).  In any event, I won't try to pick one winner.  My own gear comes from a fairly wide span of countries:

Turntable/tonearm/motor controller: Basis Audio (USA)
Cartridge: Transfiguration and Lyra (Japan)
Phonostage: Viva (Italy)
Music Server/ripper: Naim (UK)
Linestage: custom-built in Italy using vintage USA parts
Amplifier: custom-built in Italy using vintage USA parts
Speakers:  Strumenti Acustici Precisione (Italy), with Western Electric compression midrange driver and horn (USA)
Cabling: XLO (USA), Basis (USA) Audio Note (UK)
Power conditioners: Isotek (UK)
Interesting experiment, hiendmmoe.

Astonishing how some people take pride in the accomplishments of others, isn't it? But a few thoughtful responses too, like Atmasphere's. 

Interesting that only CAKYOL has posted about the things that go into commercial products: transistors (Japan: Toshiba, Sanken; USA: Analog Devices, That), resistors (France: Vishay), caps (USSR: military vacuum caps; USA: Jennings; Denmark: Duelund), inductors and transformers (Canada: Plitron). IMO

Cakyol, I would say small signal would have to be US: MAT aerospace stuff from AD, and elegant matched quads on a single wafer from That.
If it’s the most companies/products it is the USA. And it would win for the most excellent companies. If it is the most consistently great products, it would have to be Switzerland. Japan and Germany would probably tie for second. However Germany would probably be the winner of the consistently great quality electronics and speakers.
Oh, forgot to mention the UK! And decades of BBC standards...
In a way, British gear companies are up there with Germany. Maybe a notch down in ultimate quality than Germany. But historically up there in great companies with the US.
As for those who are bad-mouthing China, my experience is otherwise. I have some very good, highly cost-effective stuff which came from joint ventures, like Epcos/TDK caps, Quad ESL speakers (my first failures are coming at the 14 year mark).

I am told that the highest precision manufacturing is done in Germany and China. Of course, lots of toy pandas from China too, if that's your taste.