Anyone else grateful that they got hooked on this crazy addiction

I got home tonight after a 12 hour day of busting my ass for the IT company I work for and sat down in the single chair in my dedicated listening room and turned on Dido’s “Still on My Mind”. As I sat there listening with the lights off, I thought about the fact that the majority of the people in this world will never get to hear anything close to this kind of sound and I get to hear any track, at any time, at any volume I choose. Please don’t think that I am bragging about my system as I know that the majority of you have systems that put mine to shame. I am attempting to express how very grateful I am that I got into this amazing hobby, especially with all the crazy things that are happening in our world today.

As a lurker on this forum for a couple of years, I have read the great majority of the posts. Some with a chuckle, some with great awe and some with disgust. We all enjoy an amazing hobby that allows us to escape from the realities of life right in our own home.

My system consists of a Devialet Expert 250 Pro, Dynaudio Contour 60 speakers, a pair of REL S510 sub-woofers, AQ William Tell speaker cables, an Uptone Audio Etherregen, SOTM ethernet cable, AQ Tornado power cords, an AQ Niagara 1000 power conditioner, GIK acoustic room treatments and an SGC i5 Sonictransporter running Roon with 5TB of hi-res recordings and streaming Tidal and Qobuz. Once again, I am not bragging, and I am not looking for any comments about how good or bad my system is or could be. My goal is to give you some perspective about how lucky we are to be “audiophiles” in this crazy world.

When I sit down with a glass of scotch and put on whatever it is that trips my fancy that night, I can easily put the world out of my mind in under 5 minutes. Listening to what I think is an incredible soundstage and how I can be transported so quickly to the artist’s location is sometimes beyond belief. The best is those nights when you audibly mumble “holy sh-t” after an especially dazzling track.

We are a very lucky group of people to be able to sit down with our system that we have built with our own hands and hard-earned money. To think how much time we have spent reading forums and reviews as well as the never ending tweaking. Who would have thought that moving speakers ¼” would make that big of difference?

So, who else out there is grateful that we have these amazing systems in our homes and it would almost be welcomed to be quarantined for a couple of weeks?

desert38
Great thread, to put it back on point. I have been in this hobby since my first real stereo when I was 16. I am now 62 and have owned and still own a lot of equipment. The equipment has always been a vehicle for the music. And the hobby is the reproduction of the music in all its nuances. So where ever you system is on the audio food chain remember it is the joy of the music that matters. Not everyone can afford the ultimate system or spend thousands on cable. 
I too sit in my room and get much pleasure out of the music and how my system can reproduce what the engineers captured. This is the point of all this. Take this hobby to whatever level you want it to be or can afford. But IMO it’s the music. 

I feel desert38 you truly get it like most of us on this site. 
+1 Millercarbon  

It was fascination they say ....  

From learning electronics from Dad, to building my first crystal radio, then ham radio, then a tuner, etc.  Enjoying all types of music all along the way and then one day meeting a client who installed Hi End sound systems for Hi End clients. In his office were a pair of Dahlquist DQ10's that were the catalyst that changed my life forever.  ( I still have a set over at an ex-girlfriend's house ! )  But the stage was set for a hobby that caused extreme enjoyment, frustration, anxiety, relaxation, and magic for over 40 years now. 

The fascination continues with each, album, cd, or stream and the learning and enjoyment never ends.   

Stay healthy all and happy listening ... 
For sure !!!!  I've been in this hobby, for lack of a better word for 40 years....  my first "real" piece of gear was a Sansui AU9900 integrated amp.  Many components and many years later and I'm still hooked.

For me music is the ultimate get away from the hassles of life.  It transports me into a place where I don't care what time it is or where I have to be in the morning.    

The past 3 years have been filled with heartache and loss along with coming very close to dying...  I don't know what I would have done without music to get me through...

So now when I am just rebuilding my life and looking for a new house something I could never imagined happening is unfolding before us.  Hopefully this will all be a bad memory very shortly.  That said , I'm sure music will help us all escape for a little while.  

Unfortunately for my wallet I just put together a great headphone rig and am rediscovering and discovering some great music . I was up until 2:30 last night enjoying my new Quicksilver Headphone Amp.....

I AM grateful to be able to enjoy quality music recordings. Although nothing beats Ray Chen or Denis Matsuev live for me. Missing that already.
What makes you arrive at the assumption that most forum members have better systems than yours?
Only in personal preference, of course.
oddiofyl:
Me like your post again.

4 days on menopren last year for myself
cancer radiation this year
now this everywhere - mortality doubles for us guys

Not many selections of A/V entertainment out there.
Plague news, 1982 sports, cruise guy reruns or any music we desire.
Some choice.