Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
georgehifi happens.
Oh dear, you never did forgive me for exposing the JR Continuum 2 re $100  Class-D module con.
For those that wish to see what goes in and what comes out between Class-D v Linear amplification which is closer to the original input, or closer to "straight wire with gain" as what was the start of this
OK so here is the input, 1KHz

Test input:1khz perfect square wave
http://www.tronola.com/moorepage/Sine/1kHzsquare.jpg

But here we see a 10KHz waveform, which is difficult for many amplifiers. Imposed on top is the residual, which is about 250KHz, which is low by modern class D standards:

Output: Class-D:
https://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/406Halfig01.jpg
Note the scale on the left side of the image- its not there! There's no way to tell how strong this signal is, but the residual is a clue; its about 1/4 the total waveform amplitude. Since we don't know the power of the amp, we can't say how high this should be but if its 0.25 that would fit for an amplifier that makes 100 watts. If that is so, the amplitude here is half that of the waveform in the the next image, which is 1KHz instead of 10KHz!

Output:Linear Amp:
https://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/999A565fig2.jpg

George's attempt to put class D amps in a bad light on this account is debunked.

It appears instead there is an attempt to mislead people by a of slight of hand, which doesn't win street cred. The factor of 10 between 1KHz and 10KHz is pretty significant! In order to reproduce a 10KHz squarewave the amp needs bandwidth past 100KHz. That's hard for most amplifiers, tube, solid state or class D.

George, if you want to show how class D falls right flat on its face, show a 10KHz input waveform and the same 10KHz output waveform **at the same amplitude** of two example amplifiers. Make sure the outputs are shown at the same amplitude as well. Doing what you've done here is not just sloppy, its looks deceitful as well.

Sorry you started it all with this little misquoted rant.
"The idea that anyone would run one without the filter is ludicrous."
And I said in reply " No one said run or listen to class-D without the output filter, it said to "look" at it with a scope.

Your in product protection mode, and that says it all.
Well I just picked up a used Spectron MKII
to drive my .7's Maggie's.  This class D amp was designed my John Ulrick and who was co founded of Infinity with Arnie Nudel back in the late sixties. This amp is a beast and weighs 52lbs! Has all kinds of power and with do 65 amps fo 500 milseconds when needed. The pre I use with it is the VAC LS 15 and I think it's a very good match. Songs that I've listen to for years now have a intensely close to a live event that I've never heard before. At first I thought it was a little on the anilitical side, but now my Maggie's are projecting more inner detail with the proper energy and now I'm thinking at least to my ears anyway very precise and accurate would be more fitting.
Post removed