Linear Tracker ...I was wondering

Is there a not too expensive (less than $¹⁰⁰⁰) and good linear tracking tonearm that I could mount on my SL1200MK5? 

128x128jagjag
jagjag,

I have to disagree with the Debbie Downers that automatically bash the linear trackers.  I owned a Maplenoll Ariadne air bearing TT/arm combo with straight line tracking and it is right at the top of any analog setup I've had.  I also own a Trans-Fi Terminator with Tomahawk wand and all the best upgrades Trans-Fi had prior to selling the company to the current maker.  I used it with a super Lenco rebuild and the sound was very good.  I've had several good pivoted arms and it sounds better than all of them by a little bit.  I would be willing to sell my TF if you wanted to try it.  It is in very good shape and comes with all you would need to make it sing.  You could PM me if interested.  I had 2 full systems and am cleaning out the second one.

Bob
One small thing that I have picked up in all the very good advice given. There is a small difference in sound (pick up-ability) quality between  a good pivoted arm and a linear tracker. But, there IS a difference.

I have recently smallified (downsized)  my system to an integrated (built in phono stage) and a nice pair of speakers. I use a simple Yamaha CD player with built in internet radio and streaming capabilities for Spotify and Tidal. So, serious downsizing and simplifying. I have no issues with my current KAB modifed SL1200MK5. It is easy to use, and does the job well. A simple set up. 

I dont notice much distortion. Maybe my hearing and tinitus cancel that. Maybe the arm and cartridge are well set up. 

Terminator dude says he can supply the armboard for the turntable.

Now I have to decide if the gain in sound quality is worth the effort and reversing the simplifying of my system. I do t want to fiddle and tweak. I just want to.listen. My primary source is my turntable. Time to meditate (with food of course)  and think. You guys have all been amazing and I can't thank you all enough.

mijo, stop spreading bad information.
As far as electronic driven LT having to "trip a limit switch" and being so far out of tangent as to not make them worth while, here are some facts.

I'll use my Yamaha PX-3 as an example. There are no mechanical limit switches, they use a light beam and curtains to activate the tonearm drive. No mechanical limit switches.
The out of tangent spec before a correction is made is 0.15 degree, not any where close to what a conventional tonearm goes out of tangent. A magnitude of difference!
There are several LT turntables that use a conventional 1/2" mount cart. The Yamaha PX-2/3, Pioneer PL-L1000 and a few Mitsubishi models come to mind.
mijo, it's clear that you don't like LT tables and have never owned one yourself.
Did you know a properly working LT table will show even wear on both sides of the diamond stylus unlike a swing arm tonearm? So much for "the horizontal mass is to high" scare tactic.

BillWojo

JagJag One small thing that I have picked up in all the very good advice given. There is a small difference in sound (pick up-ability) quality between a good pivoted arm and a linear tracker. But, there IS a difference.

JagJag - IMO - You can't make generalizations like that.
The reality is every linear tracker, unlike pivot arms, is very, very, different in design and execution. 

How big of a difference there is, is directly proportional to ....at the top of my head.

1) tonearm quality/design/capability,
2) setup-capability,
3) the turntable it is going on (this is fixed), (cartridges are exchangeable variables)
4) how resolving a person's room is. Do you listen in near field or is it a shared family space ? 

The above could make the difference you hear larger than you assume. This could be good and bad. It could make things worse by amplifying the weaknesses in you chain, setting you down extra rabbit holes. 

A pivot arm set up well, will out perform a linear tracker that has not been optimized.

IMO - The best advice you have received on this thread is from Tom.

The only way to really understand the setup, quirks and sonic +\- is long term ownership. I am betting few have been there.

And I Loved the thread comments aimed at Debbie Downer - 8^0

Cheers Chris