Separates or Integrated? What makes more sense?

If you had $10,000 to spend on amplification, would you put all that money and get a really great and pricey integrated amp like a Pass or Luxman. Or, would you use that 10k to buy a really great preamp and amp combo. Apart from the convenience and space consideration, hypothetically how would you choose to spend that 10k if sound was your main criterion.

J
tyan42
Buy an accuphase integrated. The best integrated I’ve heard. IMO better than pass or Luxman. 
Primaluna’s latest offering is surprisingly good for integrated in the $4k to $5k range. There is no magic in spending $10k versus some other sum...

Quick example: friend has massive system, in the $250k to $300k range (think Focal Grand Utopia). I’ve spent about 20x less. Is his system better. Absolutely. We both agree when comparatively listening. Is it 20x better? We both agree not. 

Some great pairings happen when carefully listening and choosing components that go well together, regardless of price tag. 
under 10k, get integrated, close or above 10k, get power amp, and then preamp later, or both at same time if you can afford.
It may be that the challenge with IA’s is finding one with a preamplification section as good as what can be had in a proportionally priced line stage. I’m told it is often the preamp in the IA that is the weak link and degrades the sound enough that what gains you get by losing a set of ICs is not recouped. I’ve heard this a number of times in conversations with designers/manufactures who I respect but of course who would probably rather sell their separates than IA’s in their lineup!
Millercarbon, what is it about the Raven Reflection MkII integrated amp you like so well above others in it's price range? It is sharp looking and made in America, but what else in terms of audio performance strikes your fancy? 

Mike