Once Were Brothers in theaters Friday, February 28th

The new documentary on the greatest self-contained (songs, instruments, vocals) Rock ’n’ Roll band in the music’s history---The Band, is in theaters tomorrow. Quotations from the movie:

John Hammond Jr.: "Bob Dylan thought they were phenomenal. So he hired the guys."

Taj Mahal: "If there was any American musicians that were comparable to what The Beatles were, it woulda been them."

Bruce Springsteen: "There is no band that emphasizes becoming greater than the sum of their parts than The Band. (I disagree; even taken individually, Levon Helm, Rick Danko, Richard Manual, Garth Hudson, and Robbie Robertson are master musicians, singers, and songwriters).

Bruce continues: "When they came together, something miraculous occurred."

Eric Clapton: (upon hearing Music From Big Pink) "I thought, this is huge. It changed my life."

Mine too, along with every good musician I knew then and have known since.

128x128bdp24
Enjoying the thread and like with most things the Truth is somewhere in the middle and certainly obscured by ego.

i have caught Bob Margolin live in hyper small venues - he is Muddys guitarist in the Last Waltz. A great player and a hoot to chat with.
Also for those in orbit around all things musical The Band...

make sure to check out Amy Helm - she is the real thing :-)
@tomic601, Have you noticed during Muddy's set in The Last Waltz how Bob Margolin looks over at Robertson every time the latter lets out with one of his exclamations during "Mannish Boy"? Hilarious! I know just what Bob is thinking, 'cause I'm thinking the same thing.
In the larger scene , they were not the Berlin Philharmonic .
They were the "real deal"  in a genre with a very low bar ..