Isolation Cones vs Cheap Cables

I'm posting this here for I didn't want to hijack a recent thread on cables and the title is a little misleading.

It was suggested to a member that BDR cones offer a lot of bang for the buck compared to cheap power cords when it comes to "making an impact on sound".

I'll buy into that concept!

I was looking reading about BDR cones and it seems like a lot of folks place three of them under a speaker instead of four.  I'm going to purchase some and have to ask the question:  Why three cones and not four?  My floor standing speakers are about 48" tall and the base is only about 10" wide.  I gotta think that using three cones with my speakers would make them top heavy.  Yes?
malatu
Post removed 
I hate to judge too quickly but it appears I hit a nerve. I implore you, gentle readers, how could anyone know more than millercarbon? 
Cones, footers, platforms--they are all tuning devices.  As such, none are universally beneficial.  For example, if a cone does its job of transferring vibrational energy from the speaker/stand to the floor, that may or may not be helpful--if the floor is a suspended wood floor, and the system is suffering from booming bass, coupling the  speaker to the floor might turn the floor into a sounding board that makes matters worse. 

In my own system, I use a Symposium shelf that sits against the entire bottom of the speaker.  The shelf itself has a compliant core (like rubber) that turns vibration into heat which damps the vibration.  This is the opposite of devices intended to couple the speaker to the floor.  This works for me, but, I've heard systems where such damping is the opposite of what is really helpful.  

I have no issue with people trying all sorts of accessories and tuning devices.  I am, however, a bit skeptical of those who report that ALL such devices improve the sound.

larryi
Cones, footers, platforms--they are all tuning devices. As such, none are universally beneficial. For example, if a cone does its job of transferring vibrational energy from the speaker/stand to the floor, that may or may not be helpful--if the floor is a suspended wood floor, and the system is suffering from booming bass, coupling the speaker to the floor might turn the floor into a sounding board that makes matters worse.

>>>>Actually vibration isolation, real isolation I.e., mass-on-spring isolation, is probably the most reliable of all the various methods for vibration isolation and control. That’s why the professionals employ good solid old fashioned mass on spring isolation. You know, professionals like the isolation engineer dudes at LIGO, the project to detect gravity waves, the amplitude of which is only the diameter of a proton. When only the very best will do. Cones, footers, Herbie, Racks, Symposium, etc. just won’t cut it. And the best thing about mass on spring isolation is works both ways - it dampens self inflicted and acoustic vibration AND attenuates seismic type vibration. It’s TWO, TWO mints in one! 🤗 the degree to which mass on spring is system dependent but not whether is works or not. 

DH Cones are also very reliable due to their extreme hardness. That’s why they’re called DH Cones. Of course some people will screw up anything.

The only good vibration is a dead vibration.
Most often it is the case that more damping and killing of vibration is a good thing, but, it is not always the case.  I heard a demonstration using progressively more extensive (and expensive) damping of vibration for a CD player.  This involved various Symposium platforms and couplers.  At the highest level of damping/'isolation, the sound became too dry and analytical.  This was the opinion of everyone listening to the changes, including the Symposium representative with an obvious financial interest in selling their top of the line product.