Cable burn-in questions.

While burning in an interconnect cable, say the analogue output from a dac into a preamp, is it necessary for the preamp to be turned on? (I understand the answer would be “yes” if that input has not been used - to “break in” those circuits in the preamp.  But this question is focused on the cable.) Is current flowing through a cable when the preamp isn’t on?  Any reason why the amp connected to the preamp output must be on?  Does the volume on the preamp matter when a cable being burned in is connected to an input? 

I assume speaker cables would need current and voltage passing through, to be burned in.  Does the volume setting matter?

explanations for answers will be appreciated.
128x128lloydc
thanks for the responses.  I assumed the circuit needed to be completed, but it shouldn't hurt to ask. 

If you have a multimeter check the resistance of the preamp input.    On and off.   If it is around 10K ohms you are good to go.
Again,  it depends on how the pre is wired.   Some can complete the circuit with the power off.   You probably will have to set the preamp selector for the correct position though.
Cable burn in, what a load of crap....turn it on it's on !!
Does it get better with time ? perhaps, will you hear a difference ?
perhaps...is it cable burn in ? NO.. because audible cable/wire burn in does not exist.You don't have to believe in science or someone with multiple engineering degrees, heck if you hear it it's there ! Be happy, and if you paid for it...really happy !!

Cooking or conditioning works VERY well, but you can overdo it. It takes less time to settle back in from an overcook than, undercook.  It also starts the breakin in a given direction if one is not been marked on a cable. (reverse an IC, RCA) BRIGHT ear bleeding NOISE comes to mind, Bass dynamics, GONE, there, but muddy.
I use planars, you don't make cable reversals, IC, RCAs. I did a few time about 20 years ago, no more. ANYONE can hear that difference, My 84 year old FIL could tell the difference, when he was around..Old mechanic, just like me. GOOD ears though. This was in a CAR stereo,
We both got out and swapped an RCA end to end from headset to amp
NIGHT and DAY.

Question: does it actually work or make everything sound MUCH better.

Answer: Yes and No. If the cables are already broke in so to speak, and you recondition the cables you may or may not hear a difference, the changes are a  lot more subtle, and YOUR handling of the cables, MAKES a HUGE difference also. Handle with care!!!! Simple...

NEW raw cables, speaker, IC and PC ALL sound different after a 3-7 day cook. VERY DIFFERENT. PC 4-7 days, Speaker Cable without a network (the ones I use) 3-5 days, with networks add a day. IC 2-5 days. COVER THE ENDS of your cables, when not in use or after a cook. When you hook up, GROUND yourself on the piece your working on. THEN Remove the protection at the junction, and plug in.

I've overcook a few XLR, hee hee, like listening with cotton in your ears but you HAVE VOLUME.  Within a few hours (not days) they become much more dynamic, sharper, cleaner. The HF that boils my ears, lack of or bloated bass, MIDs way forward and just sounds BAD before, is just not there. I prefer over conditioning than under if I'm montering.

If you'll take the time to listen, and you have a decent simi-trained ear. THE differences are HUGE. If you have hearing loss, or a BASS head
the change won't matter, because you probably can't hear them. Sorry
as an OLD mechanic, I really protected my ears through the years, I run from NOISE and towards sound, yea that's me..Every show I ever went to in Las Vegas, I had to use COTTON for the first 2 days. THEN they settle in a bit..Cotton out, sometimes.. LOL Hard Domes, keep walkin'

Cryo, OH YEA, another "I don't believe it" wake up call. Cooking and CRYO aren't at all completely understood, but NIGHT and DAY when it comes to serious reproduction of "THE SOUND". Breakin CDs work very well for new components and reduce total breakin time, by a pretty good margin. Amazing STUFF for sure..

Otherwise just turn up the ol' Transistor radio in the back yard, no cables there..

Respectfully

1971gto455ho
24 posts

I had a 64, 389, with a muncie 4 speed, and a factory 4 barrel I tricked all out (quadrajet). One serious tire boiling, go fast machine. Took a little Nova with a seriously built SB to finally beat that car in an 1/8 mile. Never could in a true 1/4. But the population in the town was 3800.. 1969 long time ago. GOAT power..