Badly recorded albums needing upgrading

My new music system is in place, fairly well burnt in, and speaker placement and other tweaks are coming along. In the process I’ve been learning how much variation there is in the quality of both CD and vinyl recordings. This range in quality was not apparent on my old equipment.

For example, as I go through my old records, I’ve noticed a couple of favorites that are terribly recorded. A well known sub-par recording, Eric Clapton’s (Derek and the Dominoes) "Layla and Other Love Songs" is virtually not listenable. The Stones "Let It Bleed" I’ve had to replace with a Japaneses SACD as Jagger’s vocals sounded like he recorded them with a garbage can over his head. That SACD does sound considerably better, although the vocals on "Gimme Shelter still sound muffled. After some research on site and elsewhere, I just ordered another Japanese SACD of Layla out of the myriad available, which the reviewers said made Layla at least listenable.

Here’ the obvious problem. Both replacements were expensive as CD’a and records go, and I only want to spend that kind or resources on absolute favorite records. I am filling in the rock and roll and R&B portion of my record and CD collection of artists ranging from the Beatles up through the Sex Pistols. Are there any other well known albums like "Let It Bleed" or "Layla" I should avoid, or might already have, that will need to be purchased or bought again in upgraded formats. I’m not asking about obscure groups, but instead more well known artists like the Dead, Hendrix, Aretha Franklin, anything Motown, Janis Joplin, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Bowie, Roxy Music, The Clash, Talking Heads, etc.

I’ve also been purchasing a lot of vintage jazz, from Ellington through the Weather Report and would like to avoid bad recordings there too. In the jazz realm I’ve been acquiring economical Redbook CD sets like Bill Evans’ 12 Classic Albums, and most recently Wayne Shorter’s entire Blue Note recordings made with RVG (Rudy Van Gelder ) remasters. What I’ve learned so far I to do when purchasing these sets it to avoid those that are made of re-recorded MP3 files. Those sets don’t advertise they are MP3 file based, so I dig around reviews by purchasers who after after getting bilked, expose these recordings labels on Amazon,com Music . If you’ve any of these classic jazz sets or albums or reissue labels I should be avoiding, please let me know.

For example, I’m currently looking to purchase economical multiple album sets of Billie Holiday’s Commodore, Verve, and Decca recordings and would like to know which sets to avoid or conversely which sets are well done.. I like among others Miles Davis, Coltrane, Lester Young, Mingus, Charlie Parker, John McLaughlin, Art Blakely, Chet Baker, Ella Fitgerald, Gerry Mulligan and the like. Again, not obscure recordings or artists. I’d really like to not get burned on substandard recordings too. Si Iif you could forewarn of any particular recordings, or any reissue labels to avoid, please do. Next year I might start to get more Classical Music recordings, but that’s another ball of wax for another day

Maybe this question is too broad or poorly defined but I’d appreciate any help you could provide to avoid disappointment or throw any more cash in the garbage. Thanks, and I’d be pleased to answer any questions to clarify this rambling post.

Mike
skyscraper
I have found many of the comments in this thread align with my findings but disagree with some.
Where to start with my ramblings?
Let’s take “Layla and other ...” - I have several copies and the while the recording is undoubtedly murky, I rather like it, and imo a good copy on a good system will allow you to thoroughly enjoy the music making. But what constitutes a good copy? And this is where it comes to some key points; what is your individual preference? And what level of acceptance do you have for particular traits? and this goes for your choice of system as well.

Personally I am happy to listen to recordings that could be better sonically but still allow me to listen to the music. But I am not happy to waste my life listening to any recordings, however good, that don’t grab me emotionally. Now the problem is finding out what elements of a recording are critical for your enjoyment ( why can I listen to Aurora Backseat but not Beak Positive or the Lp but not Cd of Electrif Lycanthrope?). And then finding what record companies suit your taste. I can listen to some MP3’s through my system and enjoy them, cheap Cd’s not, hi-Rez files sometimes, recordings pre 1956 rarely, some vinyl gets one minute of play and goes to the resell box, while other vinyl is stunning. I also can’t listen to good music if the recorded medium has removed some undefined critical element - and this maybe links back to some people’s experience of “Layla..”

While the best reissues use the original tapes in mastering, there are some pretty good results in vinyl from digital sources.

Then some records require cleaning to make them enjoyable - the Tim Buckley live in Chicago ‘68 vinyl set being a recent example where a Kirmuss clean turned listening from, ok but boring and maybe bin, to captivating and must keep.

My rule of thumb for vinyl is that first pressings can often be best, having an “air” that alludes reissues. However some old vinyl can be crappy  quality. Sealed old albums can be a minefield - industrial vandalism - third pressings in an original sleeve etc ..

Many modern reissues are better in definition and have lower distortion and are stunning. But there are few absolutes, as some modern reissues I have had have sucked the life out of the recording.

How to choose?

Click around. Do some research on the source used and where the records are cut and pressed. Some companies are transparent and some aren’t. So tip one is avoid record companies that aren’t.
Looking at new vinyl - there are many options out three and normally Kevin Gray and Ryan Smith cuts do it for me, then you have Bernie Grundman and Chris Bellman (don’t quite gel with me) and then mo-fi (not a great fan) and then you have various teams in London and and and. at the other end for I tend to avoid Mastered by Capitol (good but not great IMO) and have given Doxy and Waxtime a miss after experience.

But to start with choose the music.

Labels?
Analogue Productions
Blue Note Tone Poem
Vinyl Me, Please
Speakers Corner
Neil Young Archive Vinyl Releases
Testament (really liked some of there recent releases)
Some from UME (Sound of Vinyl)
and some of the recent Craft releases have been top notch.

As for CD’s who knows? well we have known for years that one cd isn’t the same as another even when they have the same title but different issue. I have found SHMCD’s a step up. And avoid cheap complete album sets as in my experience they are dire.

Jeeps there are quite a few variables to work your way around - sometimes I wish it didn’t bother me - but it does

Layla AOLS...never thought it was so bad relative to its time, but you want a great band that was really ill-treated by their label, try Jefferson Airplane.  The first release that sounded good was the "Worst of" compilation, where the remasters had some life to them.  Sleeper classic with excellent big open sound...Traffic's "Low Spark", especially the title track.  Let's give kudos to WB/Reprise, whose SQ for Joni, The Dead, Little Feat, Ry Cooder, Zappa, Van Morrison, Arlo Guthrie, and Randy Newman were excellent.  Listen to Jimi Hendrix' posthumous release, "Rainbow Bridge" and check out the low end and dynamics on "Pali Gap" and " Hey Baby".  My original 1971 pressing still sounds outstanding on highly resolving modern speakers!
It all started to go to h**l with the New Wave.  T-Heads and Blondie were good, but Elvis Costello???  Compressed to death.  As for Punk, Grunge, Thrash...whaddaya expect?  I am a crusty old coot after all!

By the way...MA recordings are fantastic.  My fave is "The Old Country"
by Howard Levy, Miroslav Tadic & Marl Nauseef.  The track "Kucano Oro" is a breathtaking performance and a reference recording.
I accept that recording quality varies by the release. If the music is wonderful and compelling, poor sound reproduction won't keep me from listening. I really get a kick out of how well some recordings made in the 50's and even 40's sound great. I've accepted that some artists i.e. U2 and Springsteen don't present as good recordings but the music is just terrific to me. To each their own. If someone wants to spend substantial money on a system and only utilize it for "audiophile" recordings then so be it.

Unfortunately finding good issue pressings (vinyl or CD) is not a straightforward business - like much else in audio.

As others have said I'd agree that vinyl pressings generally went downhill after the mid 80s and also current vinyl issues often exhibit way too many clicks and pops.

Even worse, whilst dynamic range is always desirable, it's not everything. Care in sympathetic mastering and cutting is also required.

As the OP wisely said, don't get nutty about it or go crazy with it. Sometimes it's enough to just avoid the worst pressings.

The perfect ones simply may not exist.