If I have good local shops available, should I restrict my purchasing?

So, the title of this post is a bit tendentious — I'm actually interested in a canvas of the ethical landscape. Let me explain….

A few different reviewers I like (Guttenberg, others) have made mention of how important it is to support one's brick and mortar shop, should one have one near enough to visit. I actually have several, though a bunch of them are actually installation businesses that also sell gear.

As I've spent time in these shops listening and learning, I've also gained an amazing education online (thank you Audiogon, YouTube) about the variety of audiophile gear out there — including older gear, and gear made by small, independent artisans. They too deserve support and patronage.

What I'm struggling to determine is how to spend as ethically as possible. Assuming (1) a reasonably good selection and (2) reasonable prices, what do you think is the ethical thing to do as regards audiophile equipment? (I am NOT talking about major manufacturers such as Denon, Yamaha, etc.)

Here are some options, placed roughly on a spectrum. Where would you place yourself?

(a) "Totally limit to the local shop." All purchasing of audio would be restricted to what is available locally. No buying of gear auditioned locally online or used.

PLUSES: supports the local merchant and a place to hear new gear while providing the listener with products that meet the threshold of good audio.
MINUSES: Costs more, limits brand options, cuts out many small makers who sell from far away.

(b) "Partially limit to the local shop." Some (not all) purchasing of audio would be restricted to what is available locally. No buying used or online what is available locally. Exceptions would include products from small makers who sell direct.

PLUSES: supports local merchant, but not as much. Expands brand options, supports small makers. May influence local merchant to carry more artisanal lines (assuming they get the message somehow).
MINUSES: Costs more, less support for local merchant.

(c) "No limits where to buy, but truly audiophile-level products available new should be bought new." Purchasing could be done anywhere, but avoiding used versions of products that are presently available new would be prioritized to support the manufacturer and/or dealer carrying them. This could include the local shop or the online dealer.

PLUSES: Supports makers and those who carry new, good gear. Vintage gear is still ok to buy.
MINUSES: Costs more, reduces support for those making deals and discounts available.

(d) "No limits, period." Any product can be bought anywhere. You can go listen in your local shop and then surf online to buy it discounted or used. If this continues the trend of the disappearance of brick and mortar stores, that's fine. The number of direct to consumer companies will increase, and that model may be the next evolutionary step.

PLUSES: Cost savings (discount, used, etc.); flourishing of new direct businesses; continued health of used markets; increased importance of online reviewers (professional and amateurs).
MINUSES: Traffic and pollution from even more delivery vehicles; demise of curatorship role in audio stores, and the face-to-face relationships they foster. Demise of place to see gear simultaneously and do comparison listening.

This is just a sketch of the ethical landscape. I undoubtedly left our options and supporting/detracting pluses or minuses.

If you've thought about the ethics of your audio purchasing and have some thoughts, I'd like to hear what you take to be ethically relevant.

128x128hilde45
If you're in the zone where finding anything you might actually want locally is even possible, I can only envy you. You can see it, touch it, hear it, and most importantly try it out at home. If you can, that is totally the way to go. That's what I did, and would still do, if only there were anything in my area. That there isn't within 300 miles of Seattle speaks volumes about the hurdles we face once we reach a high enough level. What I did, and what 99% should be doing, is driving the 300 miles to hear everything you can and then buying the best of that. 

As far as ethics goes, the way I see it this has nothing to do with supporting your local audio dealer. This is simply the best way to do it, period. Listening to a lot of different gear in a lot of different rooms is the only way to learn. Well not the only, but the fastest and best by far.  

Don't abuse it. Do have the guy earn his money. Do ask to swap speakers or cables or whatever in order to compare. Do ask to home audition. But don't waste their time. Do it when you're serious about buying. Then if you go through these steps, home audition and all, don't be looking to shave the last few dollars. Just buy it. He earned it. You saved a ton. Because having done all this you know what you're getting. Internet prices are low and should be because until and unless you've heard it, its a crapshoot. Don't kid yourself. Price is only part of what you pay. There's also time and money wasted when what you bought sight unheard winds up getting traded. 

This will probably be hard for a lot of people to swallow, but what you have to do when you're new and inexperienced is completely different than what you can get away with after decades of doing this. Because all that time driving around and listening, combined with reading and studying and trial and error, you can learn to find what you want without all the driving around. Its just as slow and tedious, but it can be done. I have a Melody, Herron, Swarm, Koetsu, Dayton, Verus and more that were bought entirely sight unheard and are not only everything I thought they would be, but all have far exceeded expectations. Amazing, considering the failure rate when I was driving around and the fact I am far more discerning and picky now than 30 years ago. 

But notice- all those purchases were made with zero to perhaps half an hour of time invested on the part of the seller. I don't waste their time. They don't waste mine. That's the ethics of it, at least the way I see it.
"Personally I don’t think there is anything unethical about not paying taxes on out of state purchases."
I am not sure about ethics, but in some of the states in the U.S.A. it is illegal, or whatever word for "tax fraud" would be.
I like finding a local shop that sells tons of used gear, good deals and helping a store out!

anybody close to Portland,OR should check out Echo Audio!! 
You buy where you audition. Negotiate as is customary.

If you chose a brand not represented in your area then you are
limited to what you read,wh at someone else owns or knows
about it. Get a trial period.

Join an audio club, travel to a show, buy from dealers with good credentials when buying new. 

In the HiFi Shark used market, caveat emptor always applies.
Nothing over 3-4 years old. Best deals are from people who buy
and sell for a hobby. One owner only. Original purchase receipt required. Verify with serial number by calling maker. 

Red Flags include:
-Selling for a friend-Run quickly.
-Just back from the shop
-No answers to legit questions
-Never buy a speaker without hearing it first.

Smart Buys:
-Open box -all of warranty
-Dealer demo -some warranty

Smartest Buyer:
Patient shopper with a wise mentor/consultant.

It is your money to spend as you see fit.
Just stay out of store if you know you won't
possibly buy from them. Yes they will be going out
of business most likely anyway. Does not give you free
rein to F=them on the way out. 

@gadios great list of do's and don'ts. Thanks a bunch.

@millercarbon: wonderful post. I especially love this paragraph:
"Don't abuse it. Do have the guy earn his money. Do ask to swap speakers or cables or whatever in order to compare. Do ask to home audition. But don't waste their time. Do it when you're serious about buying. Then if you go through these steps, home audition and all, don't be looking to shave the last few dollars. Just buy it. He earned it. You saved a ton. Because having done all this you know what you're getting. Internet prices are low and should be because until and unless you've heard it, its a crapshoot. Don't kid yourself. Price is only part of what you pay. There's also time and money wasted when what you bought sight unheard winds up getting traded."