Bits Are Bits, Right?

So I'm currently heading down the path of exploring which CD-Rs sound best in my CD player, along with what burn speeds sound best and what CD burners make the best CDs. I already know from my research that the more accurately the pits are placed on the CD (e.g. less jitter in the recorded data), the better chance I stand at getting the CD to sound good. There is a counter-argument to this idea that goes something like this: "Bits are bits and as long as the CD player can read them, the accuracy of the spacing doesn't matter because everything is thrown into a buffer which removes the effect of any jitter written into the data during burning." I know I don't agree with that logic, but for the life of me I can't remember the technical reasons. I know I used to know. Haha! 

So who here knows why buffers don't solve all of our problems in the digital realm? How come timing accuracy matters in the stages before the data buffer?
128x128mkgus
almarg
As I see it the reason is that what is happening before the buffer, which is dependent on the physical characteristics of the particular disc, is affecting circuitry that is after the buffer. That is the basic point Kirkus was making in his 2011 post that I quoted above. Those effects are not occurring via what he refers to as the "forward signal path," meaning the intended signal path that we tend to think of, but rather via coupling of noise via unintended pathways. Those would potentially include grounds, power supplies, stray capacitances, or even the air. Such effects will of course vary depending on the design of the specific component.

>>>>Is there a Babel Fish translator for that?

addendum: if it doesn’t make sense it’s probably not true. 
Tidal through a good streamer and dac can be very pleasurable for sure. Don't be fooled otherwise.