The “They are here” vs “You are there” sound topic

Hi all,

I want to start a topic about the “They are here” vs “You are there” type of sound. I have read that different audiophiles usually fall in one of either categories, but what does it actually mean? So here a few questions:

- what is the definition of “They are here” vs “You are there” in your opinion?
- what is the main difference in sound? E.g. soundstage
- which kind of sound do you prefer?
- which type of speakers fall in one or the other category in your opinion?
- what type of sources, amplifiers or even cables fall in one or the other category in your opinion?

For instance, I believe the Esoteric products from Japan fall in the they are here type of sound. Do you feel the same?
128x128richardhk

The two most effective ways to create the "You Are There" experience are:

1- Binaural recording and playback (headphones only).

2- A surround sound system that uses the rear channels for hall ambience. That ambience can be discrete (recorded with separate mics on separate channels) or simulated (as with the Hafler out-of-phase matrix).

Very few recordings are made with the thought of recreating the sound of the performance venue, with the listener feeling he or she is in that venue. Besides, the sound inside recording studios is very unlike performance venues.

nonoise
A live recording, done well, can transport you to the venue.
A studio recording, done well, will bring them to your room.
Neither will do what you claim. Both are illusions.
Of course they are. That's plainly stated in what I said.
It's all a matter of how convincingly it's done.
All of stereo is an illusion. 

All the best,
Nonoise
I pay zero attention to distinctions such as "you are there" versus "they are here". It is a nebulous concept and has no power, imo, to actually advance an audio system....
It is evident to me that the phenomenon of there versus here is a function of the recording, and the degree to which it is felt is a result of the quality of the system. It is not dependent upon any type of speaker, as I can obtain that distinction in listening with whatever type of speaker I use - panel, horn hybrid, line source, dynamic, etc. :)  
I think that douglas-schroeder reflect my own opinion well...

My own experience is takes cares of the 3 embeddings of the audio system, and you will be there and they will be here....It is what I feel like in my 2 listening position in my room...
Wait, what? Duke hasn’t posted yet??? Must be working on it still then....