Higher End DACs

I am looking for a DAC (potentially streamer&DAC) to be paired in a mcintosh system (c1100/611). Its my first foray into digital streaming and I have no need for a CD player.

I see a lot of love for Esoteric, however, most seems to be around their transports? Are they not as renowned for pure digital streaming and/or standalone DACs? I see DCS (for instance) often referenced for standalone DACs - how does Esoteric compare?
ufguy73
Consider the Lumin X1 DAC streamer.  It sounds great and vinyl like.  It has an optional optic fiber input.  One key factor is magnetic shielding which the X1 is designed to provide.  (Superior magnetic shielding is the reason provided as to why my Sony SCD1 sounds better that my SCD777.)
  I purchased the X1 in Jan 2020 and am very happy with it.
rgmd11.. in what manner did you compare the Bartok to the T&A? For instance did you use a good preamp with the Bartok? Just curious.
I am still quite curious if anyone has had meaningful opportunity to check out a single brand - but across the line:

MSB - Premier vs Reference vs Select
i have heard the Reference and Select in the same system at an audio show. i did not hear them quickly A/B. and it was a show system and not my own files and server. but i could hear the differences. you hear farther into the music with the Select, more textures and nuances. less processed. more like my analog. but the Reference does all of those same things, just less by degrees. same family sound and sense of musical rightness.

heard the Premier but not with the other two. similar sound, less by degrees. as you might expect, there is a bigger jump from Premier to Reference, than Reference to Select.....but there is a magic with the Select that is singular. the laws of diminishing returns are legit.....but at the top of the heap there is a prize. :-)
@thelostdutchman @mikelavigne 

thanks for the comparative thoughts within DCS and MSB...

are there general sonic qualities (ie house sound) across brands with this stuff?
At a relative high level there is less color and more transparency and 
Detail being an increasing distinction.
Generally ...
At some level SS (different classes) and Tube Gear (Pre / Amplifier Phono-Pre / DAC / Streamer) become comparatively good.
Until recently manufacturers have / have not offered complete systems.
( 'High End System' being the noted distinction )
PS Audio would be an example. Now developing AN3 Loudspeaker.
End to End Systems.
Some manufacturers Still Specialize. Like DCS.
Listening to different components (variables) while leaving the rest of the 
System (constant) is the best way to discern any differences.
This should be an objective Goal.