Help me understand John Coltrane .... seriously.

Hi Everyone,
Listen I have a favor to ask, and those of you better educated in Jazz can help me.

I always have a tough time listening to John Coltrane. It's like he's talking a different language.
Can any of you point me to recordings I should listen to on Tidal or Quboz or whatever that set me up to better appreciate the man?

Thank you for the musical education.

Best,

E
erik_squires
Coltrane typically modulates key changes differently than other Jazz players (major thirds). His progressions are often called “Coltrane changes”. Search for an explanation of “Coltrane changes” on YouTube and watch a video or two. After that, you’ll have a better idea of what’s going on in his music. With that understanding under your belt, the music should (hopefully) sound more accessible

Good luck
to enjoy Ciltrane and many others you have to be in the moment, don't analyze, don't expect,don't anticipate,  just give in to the incredible soaring haromnICS of a true virtuoso
Eric,

Are there other jazz saxophonists that you like?   Maybe start with some folks that are within the genre of jazz that you enjoy and maybe down the road, you will like Coltrane more?  Maybe try Sonny Rollins?  Saxophone Colossus, Way Out West, The Sound of Sonny.  I'm a jazz musician and I love Coltrane but find his later output to be very difficult and I have to be in just the right mood.  

I believe that jazz is a language.  The more you are immersed the more you understand.  It's like going to a foreign country where you don't speak the language.  At first everything is noise and nonsense but then you start to hear a word or two that you understand and things eventually start to make sense.  I think it's well worth the effort but, music is about enjoyment and if you don't like something, you shouldn't force yourself just because people told you you should
Erik, to understand many jazz musicians you have to start at their beginning and follow them through time as they evolve. The great ones keep searching and exploring and in many instances leave us behind. Later in his career Trane became influenced by eastern music which is abrasive to most of us westerners. I gave up after he left McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones behind. Wayne Shorter progressed in a way I can still follow and enjoy. Most of us want to enjoy music, not be challenged by it.
Henry Threadgill is an original. He bounces back and forth between incredible songs that really bring out a smile and music that leaves me totally flat. I have to have some sense of melody and or structure/rhythm to hold on to to keep me focused without either I am lost.
I have tried to listen to Coltrane's Ascension three or four times and I just do not get it. But, when you listen to him in his earlier days it was obvious that he was special. Listen to Sonny Rollin's Tenor Madness. Trane plays on that album. Compare the two. Rollin's is no slouch but you always know when you are listening to Trane he has a lyrical and rhythmical facility with the instrument that Rollins just can not match. Rollin's playing seems sort of clumsy in comparison.  
Well ,Its funny ,because  like everyone has said here there are many aspects  to jazz.Its not all the same so times you have to just listen,and take it in ,lol.I was like 19 and working in the old PO on the midnight  tour.I was into Rock, Beatles,Stones,Cream.and am rock ,lol.Well this PO was,in LIC ,the APO -NPO ,LIT .at night the guy who controlled the radio would only play JAZZ ,it drove me crazy.New Wave Jazz ,Free Form.I went up to the cage as we called it and asked the guy to change the station, his answer was NO.So I had to listen to it all night long and the place was empty  and it was loud.lol.After awhile ,I did learn to like it ....just listening, and it grew on me...But some of it did SUCK,lol....that was 48 years ago.....I like all kinds of music and give everything a chance....