Help me understand John Coltrane .... seriously.

Hi Everyone,
Listen I have a favor to ask, and those of you better educated in Jazz can help me.

I always have a tough time listening to John Coltrane. It's like he's talking a different language.
Can any of you point me to recordings I should listen to on Tidal or Quboz or whatever that set me up to better appreciate the man?

Thank you for the musical education.

Best,

E
erik_squires

Showing 1 response by adam8179

Eric,

Are there other jazz saxophonists that you like?   Maybe start with some folks that are within the genre of jazz that you enjoy and maybe down the road, you will like Coltrane more?  Maybe try Sonny Rollins?  Saxophone Colossus, Way Out West, The Sound of Sonny.  I'm a jazz musician and I love Coltrane but find his later output to be very difficult and I have to be in just the right mood.  

I believe that jazz is a language.  The more you are immersed the more you understand.  It's like going to a foreign country where you don't speak the language.  At first everything is noise and nonsense but then you start to hear a word or two that you understand and things eventually start to make sense.  I think it's well worth the effort but, music is about enjoyment and if you don't like something, you shouldn't force yourself just because people told you you should