Cambridge Audio Azur 851N

Fellow audiophiles,

Does anyone have any experience with Azur851N? How good it sounds? I have had Olive 4HD and Sonos in my HT setup and looking for a better sound. I do fair amount of streaming off Spotify and Amazon and got lot of music stored on my FAT32 USB drive. Azur851N looks very promising (atleast on paper). I will be pairing this unit with a Classe SSP800 and B&W 803's. Any comments or feedback is greatly appreciated.
128x128lalitk
@kren0006,
Sorry this has taken so long to post. I have just completed a comparison between the DSD Jr and 851N. I purchased the DSD Jr last spring and have been doing comparisons since. I have been reluctant to sell the 851N because, for 1/3 the price, it was pretty even with the DSD Jr.

Initially I preferred the 851N, which seemed to have a little more PRAT with a bit more detail. The DSD Jr. was a little more natural sounding to my ears. Then I upgraded the DSD Jr. to Windom and upgraded my power supply of my LTA MicroZOTL2 from the basic switching PS to the LPS+ and the DSD Jr. excelled.

Here is a summary of the qualities of each:

851N
  • Excellent PRAT (pace, rhythm, and timing)
  • More detail (initially)
  • A little compressed on complex passages but imaged well on less complex material
  • Can be bright depending on the rest of your system
  • Slightly louder
  • Aesthetically more pleasing (to my eyes)
  • Large video display

DSD Jr.
  • Increased detail without added brightness or digital glare as my equipment was upgraded
  • More natural/organic sounding
  • Better imaging after upgrades
  • Solid build
  • Octave coming
  • Free software updates
  • MQA

Overall, the 851N is an excellent streamer/DAC and I think it’s a steal, especially used. Remember, I am comparing the 851N to a DAC that costs three times as much. The DSD Jr. just has too much else going for it, like Octave, software updates, MQA and the ability to perform better as my system upgrades.

With all this said, I must disclose I am finally selling my 851N. I hope that doesn’t mar these opinions because I truly have enjoyed it. The 851N would make an excellent entry level or second system streamer/DAC. The 851N has the same DAC internals as the stand-alone Cambridge 851D.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Thanks, Ken!  That is super helpful - really appreciate it.  I would not have expected the 851n to be so competitive with the DS Jr.  Enjoy the music, and cheers!
hi folks trying to buy  azur 851n from audiogon and use it in uk . but back panel shows only 120 or 100v switching.any idea how to make it 240v without modification or internal switching possible. opinions needed
@mallikh67I would contact Cambridge Audio. It might be best to find a unit in the UK.
Some Cambridge units have toggle switch on back to switch between 240 and 120. Edge W amp has it for example but instructions say don’t touch it. Not sure if 851n has that