Watts and power

Can somebody break it down in layman's terms for me? Why is it that sometimes an amp that has a high watt rating (like, say, a lot of class D amps do) don't seem to always have the balls that much lower rated A or AB amps do? I have heard some people say, "It's not the watts, it's the power supply." Are they talking about big honkin' toroidal transformers? I know opinions vary on a speaker like, say, Magnepans - Maggies love power, right? A lot of people caution against using class D amps to drive them and then will turn around and say that a receiver like the Outlaw RR2160 (rated at 110 watts into 8 ohms) drives Maggies really well! I'm not really asking about differences between Class D, A, or AB so much as I am asking about how can you tell the POWER an amp has from the specs? 
128x128redstarwraith
@atmasphere and others, when I read, for example, the power rating for the parasound A 23+, it states:

• 160 watts x 2 @ 8 Ω RMS, both channels driven
  • 240 watts x 2 @ 4 Ω RMS, both channels driven

My assumption has always been that the top 8ohm figure is relevant to the use of not one but two 8 ohm speakers, as is stated on the website. Your figuring seems to suggest that playing two 8 ohm speakers would imply the second figure, or 240 watts from the combination of the speakers, or 4 ohms?

The also suggests, following what I think I understand of your claim, that few of the amplifiers on the market should be used for two 4 ohm speakers, as they don’t often state a 2 ohm power rating...
@listening99, Ralph (@atmasphere) clearly interpreted your initial posts as referring to powering two speakers per channel simultaneously (i.e., a total of four speakers). However it now seems apparent that you would only be powering one Tekton speaker per channel with the amp, and nothing else. So Ralph’s comments do not apply, and the response by @audiozenology is applicable and correct.

I would add to Audiozenology’s comments, though, that in addition to the potential issue he cited involving mains noise a possible concern relates to the very high gain of your amp (35 db, per the measurements in the link he provided). If the Tektons are significantly more sensitive than your present speakers you might find yourself having to operate your volume control at undesirably low settings. Although your description of the present speakers as "horn loaded" (and therefore presumably very sensitive) suggests that both potential issues (mains noise and volume control settings) are unlikely to be problems, assuming they are not problems now.

Good luck with the new speakers. Regards,
-- Al

For most speakers, the amperage is more important than the wattage. This is one area in which most class D amps fall short of a class A or AB amp with an oversized linear power supply.
hifihottie
For most speakers, the amperage is more important than the wattage. This is one area in which most class D amps fall short of a class A or AB amp with an oversized linear power supply.
Correct, and why you’ll find it hard to see specs for "doubling wattage" + distortion with Class-D into 2ohms with "comparison made" to it’s 8ohm and 4ohm figure.
They have things inhibiting it, one is the output filter and the second is that they are mosfet output, and as you say power supplies in many are average to say the least.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/power-current-how-much-is-realistic/post?postid=1863634#1863634
Here’s hypothetical to ponder over (without bashing Class-D anymore), but on amperage.

Take the two 20w-8ohm amps I linked to above, give them both higher rails and higher voltageoutputs and whatever else, so they can both now do 500w!!!! into 8ohms instead of 20w.

Into speakers such as the Wilson Alexia’s the Mark Levinson ML2’s would still blow away the Nad-3020, even though now both are 500w, and it’s because of current the ML can give over the Nad down into 2ohm loading.

Cheers George
Used several amps over the years.

Some Carvin 2000W guitar amps for driving my cerwin Vegas 
they were great sounding, but their reliability were atrocious.

Crown amps used to be very good, had the studio ref I FOR A WEEK, didn’t have a 30 amp outlet, sad day that day.

used the QSC Rx amp for a couple years.

most my speakers were either 4 ohm or lower., so. The amps output was a little more than the 8 ohm output at rated power.

another great amp is the Carver sunfire amp, either the 300 or the 600,
great sounding amp all around., LOVED the 1 ohm capacitor for making the sound a bit boomy like a tube amp, killer little feature
i still love my sunfire 600 signature.

odyssey stratos or  Kismet is a great amp. 200W at 4 ohm, so about 300+wpc into 4 ohm speakers.  

Emotiva amps are a great great start into separate audio.
their gain is a bit high, but there not too bad..

a more expensive option check the audiogon for pass, McCormack, threshold, any mnay others.

good luck, auditioning gear is a blast.