Help in putting together my system with used equipment on Audiogon and eBay.

I’m looking for the best bang for the buck. What equipment can I find that would make the best system for my budget ($8000)? I'm starting out with:

Pass Labs X1 Preamp, my rock to start with. I got it for $2500 This is where you can help me the most. Let me know your best match for this pre-amp, or the ones you have found to be the best you have heard!

Bryston 4B SST amp for about $1700. It’s been my experience that more power wakes up a speaker and pins it’s ears back. At 300wpc and the reviews on this amp I picked it, but just to start. I really need some experienced people to give me recommendations for the amp, or if the Bryston is a winner. I can sell this for a better amp.

Do I need a DAC?

Phono. I’ve realized that might be a big reason why people go to separates isn’t it? I’d like to hear some comments on this. If you have separates and no phono, what do you use? Stream music? CD’s?

CD player? I do have a lot of CD’s. With separates, it’s either phono, cd, or streaming correct?

I’m not really a phono guy, but I know which albums I would buy so it is an option. I wouldn’t know a good phono if you hit me with it. Please recommend a few.

I’m leaning toward B&W speakers just because of their reputation. I may spend up to 5k on a good pair of speakers, but I want them to be used and costing much more when bought new. I know how to spot a good deal and not buy speakers on their death bed (from reputable sellers), but I need your recommendations too. You all have heard more speakers than I ever have and will.

**I’m going to check this post often and answer any questions and write down your recommendations.
I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR THIS, IT IS A BIG DEAL FOR ME!
128x128imabucfan
Here is the link for the Thiels.https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/d/ponte-vedra-thiel-speakers/7019428351.html
I have no experience with ML's or B&W's. Only Vandersteen, Klipsch Heritage, Ohm, Advent, and Thiels.
I would steer you away from Thiel or B&W. Try to consider speakers with soft dome tweeters that are not harsh in any fashion. Especially true if you stay with all but the most expensive sold state. Keep your preamp at least to try before going direct into your amp. If you buy decent cables I say that it is almost impossible for an integrated amp to match good separates. True you save space with an integrated and usually some coin, but connection between components is much less a problem than packing too much stuff into a single chassis. In fact, I rarely would consider a component without a separate  power supply. I strongly prefer Pass amps to those made by Bryston. But there are a number of amps I prefer to Pass both S.S. and tube. Good luck and have fun!
+1 @jsautter

I would steer you away from Thiel or B&W.
Choose a speaker with higher efficiency. It will allow for more flexibility in amplifier choice, as you already have the X1 Pre.

OP, you should also clarify if your 8K budget includes what you have already incurred for the X1 or not.
Goldenear Triton One.R

Bought a new pair about two months ago for exactly 6K.  Couldn't be happier with them.  Check out the reviews and have a listen for yourself.  Good luck!
So many choices, so many recommendations.  My opinion will be different than others.  The Pass and Bryston should make a great combination.  The Brystons have been reviewed as analytical or bright, I don't know....  most have been beyond my price point.  Your hearing, at 65 and ex military, you may or may not be able to hear much above 12-15K.  The Martin Logans will be on the bright side, I have a pair of Clarities.  I'm 70 so the MLs compensate for my hearing loss in the highest registers.  I also use Magnepans, they are, an all day speaker if you will, never fatiguing to my ears.  You should be able to hear any of the recommended speakers somewhere near you.  When trying out speakers take your own CD's, music you are familiar with, preferable music you have heard live from the artist.  The great speaker demos are records and CD's that show off the best of a speaker, and can show off the worst, just don't let the dealer use only their recordings.