Should I still buy a CD player? Suggest one?

I just read that Best Buy is discontinuing CDs. This seems like a bad omen for CDs in general. I had a system I liked and lost most of it in a fire this summer. Insurance will buy me a replacement, but is it unwise to buy a CD player now? What are high end people doing now for source?

And, my players was a Creek CD-43, CD-53, bought in about 2002. What would be an equivalent quality now? Insurance doesn't care that they are more expensive now, they just want an equal replacement. If I buy a player, which is the most popular good CD player now? It's important that is it a popular one, because I don't want to get saddled with something hard to sell since things are in flux.

Thanks.

river251
What year is this? We have lived in California and Arizona, in close proximity to Best Buy, and I was told years ago that BB was discontinuing CDs. It’s a matter of saturation. Are there really any CDs that you want that you haven’t bought already? Of course not! Unfortunately, the same may happen to vinyl in Barnes and Noble. I was in last week and they are selling tons (yes, tons) of popular titles of vinyl for "50% OFF". Check it out.
OP

Did your  CDs survive the fire?  Do you have a large collection?  Are they not backed up to a HD?  If the answer is yes to all 3 questions, then it seems like you will want a CD player.  Unless, of course you are ready to ditch the CDs and go with a streaming service.
  If you are undecided about replacing CDs with streaming, I would suggest buying a decent inexpensive streamer such as the Bluesound Node2i before buying a CDP.  Try one or more streaming services—they all have free trial periods, and the Node2i works with with all of them.  It has a decent DAC included, probably about the same level of quality as your old CDP.
  If you decide that streaming works for you, great.  If you miss CDs, then buy a CDP, and use the streamer for the  Internet Radio and perhaps  Bluetooth functionality .
CD players will continue to be sold.  To many people have large collections that they want to play and CDs will still be sold on line.
Personally I would put most of the money in a good DAC that can be used with all digital sources
I sell and service the CEC brand of CD players and transports. There are links to reviews on the web pages.  http://audio-union.com/audio-union/cec/
The Bryson BDA-3.14 is a combination of a superb DAC and streaming capability. Pair it with a Cambridge transport and you'll have an excellent CD / Streaming setup.
Just a thought.

I asked myself the same question 18 months ago and because I already have a large CDs collection (I also have vinyls), I got myself a Hegel Mohican (aptly called) which I really enjoy. There will be CDs around for a while, if only in the secondhand market. I don't regret doing buying the unit. Also, call me old fashion, but I hate the idea of paying a monthly fee for streaming (and not having anything the day I decide to stop paying...)