Who else here is frugal?

If I had to describe myself as an audiophile in one word, I'd like it to be frugal. Iconoclast may also be right, but if I'm different it may be due to being frugal.  There used to be a TV show called The Frugal Gourmet. To paraphrase him, the food he cooked wasn't necessarily cheap, but he'd get as much value as he could out of what he was doing.

Being an iconoclast doesn't hurt either. Listening for yourself and buying what you like, regardless of what reviewers say and how expensive something is also points us towards this.

What about you? Do you feel better saving money than spending it? Then tell us about yourself. :)
erik_squires
when I consider making a purchase involving what to me seems like a significant amount of money I try to make sure that it will provide me with commensurate value and commensurate enjoyment, over the long-term.

@almarg

I think those are great guides. I think it's easy to hear something better, but we fail to weigh that "better" with value. Is the delta with this purchase equal to the delta in money I won't have in my wallet.

Too often I worry audiophiles see "better" as "worth any amount of money."
Hopefully, the bitchyness done for the thread.

@erik_squires ,
I, too, am one to try to spend as little as I can on the best equipment I can afford. Unfortunately, stereos have to come after things like mortgage payments and taxes.

I feel a bit guilty when I buy something used after hearing it at my dealer, but there is no way I could afford such equipment new. Though I do buy as much as I can through him.
Bob
Spending not enough money usually results in more unhappiness than spending a bit too much. Of course spending way too much makes me unhappy as well.

I definitely consider myself frugal w.r.t. audio equipment, but frugal for 1 person is 1K, someone else 10K, and someone else 100K. I don't think I can say it better than almarg,
I try to make sure that it will provide me with commensurate value and commensurate enjoyment, over the long-term.

Like everyone else I get the upgrade bug, but I feel I have a firm foundation to build on, and don't feel like I am on a quest for nirvana. It is a happy audio place to be. I do find it is good to watch used prices. Buy used and sell used and you can upgrade regularly without extensive outlay.
Long ago, a friend of mine advised for me to wait a day, maybe more before I bought something. As you can already tell, I was willing to spend money faster than I could think. I have gotten better, but quick decisions for spending, well it is more of a crap shoot.
 One thing that I have won with is to buy used equipment, build my own speakers (from a reliable source of engineering), and not try and buy any fix it all products.
I would consider myself frugal,not cheap though. Almost all my gear was purchased on the used market. Not that this is some secret,more value for my money. This has allowed me to possess some different flavors of gear,that I can swap in when the spirit moves me. If I had purchased new,this would not be possible. 

And E,nice Montgomery Burns reference!!