Advice on whether speaker upgrade is in order

Hi,

Looking for speaker advice.  I’m not super knowledgeable about gear nor do I have time/access to demo a lot of stuff.  I am still with my first pair of good speakers (B&W803Matrix2).  The signal first goes through a Velodyne DD10 subwoofer (using the sub's crossover to keep the lower registers).  I have a heavily Bryston system, and am probably not going to change that anytime soon:  All front end sources go in digital format to Bryston DAC 2, which runs to Bryston BP25 preamp, then to 7B squared monos.  System sounds pretty good, though I wonder if speakers are limiting factor, and I would like the simplicity of not having a sub.  I also can see what people mean about Bryston gear sounding a little tinny or bright at times.

If I were to evolve the system, would speakers be high on the list, and recommendations given this hardware? (I have read ATC, PMC, and Dynaudio are well matched to Bryston, but I don't know if materially better, and I can't keep up with the new entrants, Tekton, etc.)  Other thoughts on system evolution (or should I shut up and focus on music!).

Thanks

Matt

mathiasmingus
You have the amps that could make any speaker submit and play. That being said I bought some OHM 5000s in 2012 and my 4bsst did not drive them good enough. I traded up to the 14bsst and they become more dynamic. I remember a reviewer on the 7bsst said they would be better for rock. Or you can try to get a vintage Infinity Kappa 9. Notorious amp killer. By shutting an amp down because the impedence can go really low. I think your Brystons would show them who is boss
I would also ask you to clarify how your 803's are getting fed. Is the Velodyne crossover at speaker or line level?

Is there an EQ in your subwoofer chain?

Yes, yes - forgot to mention room acoustics.  I know that was high on the list, but I don't control the room (wife) so I will need to be creative on making any improvements.

On the feed, yes, I was unclear.  It is line level: preamp -> sub -> amps -> 803s.  No EQ added.

Thank you!