Why are brick and mortar HiFi dealers so bad?

I have rarely found a reasonably decent HiFi dealer and I live in the New York metro area where there are probably more per capita than anywhere else.  I've been to a lot of shops and I'm tired of the smug attitudes, the lousy customer service, weird return policies, etc.  Friends state that the owners are jaded because people come in and listen to a bunch of gear and then go buy it elsewhere or pre-owned on web sites like Audiogon.  If that is the case, figure out a better sales strategy or shutter your store.  I've moved onto Music Direct and Audio Advisor and Upscale Audio.  Buy it and try it on your own system in your own listening room with a money-back guarantee.  If you know a decent HiFi retailer, please pass it along.
128x128pg62
Joining others who mentioned John Rutan at Audioconnection in Vernon, NJ. Take an NJ Transit out there if you don’t drive.
Can’t help you on the east coast, but I actually suspect Portland has more audio stores per capita. And they are all awesome, with very little attitude, low pressure, etc. Many allow you to try stuff at home. We also certainly have more record stores per capita. As an ex NY-er, the days when Manhattan was the center of the world are long gone. 
Every city/town has at least one or a few independent audio equipment dealers. The first feature is to look for one that has a top notch in house repair capability. These type of places do exist. Many of them have a small inventory of new equipment but may have access to order from a lot of manufacturers. You may find that these type of businesses accommodate customers in a more humane way than the mega operations.
millercarbon,
Try John Zimmerman at (yet another store named) "The Audio Connection" in the Ravenna district/Seattle. John has been in that small shop for decades. He's got an amazing ear and encyclopedic knowledge though his in-store selection is pretty limited. He's opinionated and very interesting.
RE: Portland (where I live now), there are a lot of shops. Sales attitudes span the spectrum.

Finally, "Take Five" in New Haven, CT has been super-nice, friendly and accommodating, even though I up-front mentioned I was simply visiting the campus and not in the market for equipment.
Worked for Audio Lab in Phoenix from 1973 til IRS took away the keys, owner failed to pay taxes. After two weeks of intense training was given the keys to the store and left alone. The owner was starting a new business Car Stereos Unlimited. I tried to give every person the same attentiveness, no matter who, how dressed. We did trade ins based on the Orion pricing guide. If someone wanted to bring in their gear to interface with the stores, never a problem. We sold Akai, AR, Harmon Kardon, Cerwin Vega, Janzens and Utah speakers as house brand.

Purchased my first good speakers from the competition, prior to Audio Lab, one and then the other 2/3months later. Went back to purchase the second speaker, and the salesperson (same one) immediately took me into the same sound room to hear the new great thing, ’Gales’. They no longer carried ESS brand. Showed him my receipt, said I was here for my second ESS AMT4, the look on his face was pure disappointment, Just another 249 dollar sale. Yes they still had the single left over speaker. ESS Heils had a lifetime warranty on the Heil mid/tweet motor. Went back the store 3 years later for warranty and was told to pound pavement. Never went back. Now I live in Redding CA. Best Buys is the ’Big’ audio shop here, no mom and pops stores anymore.

How you treat people counts for me. Also worked for Radio Mart in Redding for 12 or more years. Audio lab and Radio Mart both had the same philosophy. Alas the manager and then the owner passed away. Millercarbon and others do any of you remember the mfgs spiff program?

+1jrpnde