Advantages of owning equipment from major audio brands vs. boutique shops?

As someone new to home audio, the many brands of equipment is overwhelming. I learn about a new brand almost daily. Today it was Valvet and their A4 MKII monoblocks. Is it correct to assume that advantage to owning equipment from the major players is a result of the dollars they invest in R&D and the company stability, translating to piece of mind via their warranty, and the ability to get a component repaired? I would think resale value also plays a factor.

Because the small shops often sell direct, cutting out layers of profit, there appear to be some good deals on well performing kit. Other than price, are there advantages to investing in boutique brand equipment? It seems the offset to a better price might be their instability in the market, resulting in possibly owning a very heavy, expensive paper weight should they close their doors and your component need service, and a lessor resale value.

kcpellethead
Thinking about speakers in particular, when you deal with small boutique shops you often can deal with the owner directly. Think of Legacy, Salk or Daedalus. They will work with you to find just the right speaker for your particular situation. I had the opportunity to tour the Salk facility and meet with Jim himself who is just a fantastic guy. While there, he told me how a guy sent a year old speaker in with a blown out tweeter. It was obviously over driven but Jim replaced it at no charge. Good luck getting that type of service from some of the big companies. 
I wouldn't generalize about this. There are companies of all sizes creating great products and having great reputations for customer service and support, and there are companies of all sizes for which a bit of research will disclose histories that in one or both of those respects are controversial at best.

And yes, if the principal at a small company eventually retires or passes on there might be problems having a component repaired. But as has been said above such problems can also arise with large companies, for any number of reasons including poor customer service and unavailability of parts.

The good news, as you indicated, is that there are many choices.  So choices can usually be found for which both sonics and customer service and support are exemplary.

Regards,
-- Al

There's a lot to consider here. Of course, there are companies of all size creating some great products. Since the choice is mine, I usually consider how easy it might be to sell a component when the upgrade bug hits in the future. I rarely change components, but when I do I want them to sell quickly. Highly touted companies, like Oppo, McIntosh or even Nakamichi sell quicker than their lesser-known counterparts.  
The best thing IMO is to find a retailer or a dealer that will loan you equipment to listen in your room before you buy. No reviewer or word of mouth reputation can beat an in home trial.
Thank you all for your responses.  As a small business owner, I want to champion and support small business.  I love the idea of the little guy innovating in his garage or basement workshop.  However, in such a fickle industry, and with such high stakes, it's easy to lean towards spending a few more dollars and going with the safer choice.