Me vs. JL Audio - An open discussion.

An audiophile ( dpac996 ) in another thread:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/eh-hem-subwoofers-what-do-ya-know

found a very interesting, and IMNSHO, very messy, post from JL Audio:

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205061040-Adding-a-Home-Audio-Subwoofer

It has some great points, some confusing points, and some word salad. Kind of like a recent Star Wars movie.

Mind you, I think JL Audio has among the very best room correction software out there. I find myself agreeing very much with the choices the software makes, but still, this article has some great things in it I want to bring out, which I'll do in my replies.
erik_squires
I have owned different subs including a recent JL Audio D-Series and have heard their E and Fathom series as well as many other brands.  
Curiously the JLs do really well in the one area you almost never read about in subwoofer reviews- they sound really nice.
Think about it- we read about quickness, about slam, room filling pressure, room integration, etc. but have you ever read impressions on how a subwoofer actually sounds?
The JLs sound sweet. They have a rich timbre that makes any system sound better, richer, more "high end". I love the "sound" of their subs. They do impact, slam and integration well but for me the sound quality is why I really like them.  They stand apart in this area IMHO.  
It all depends on integration. I’ve heard fine JL Audio subs in systems where I couldn’t leave the room fast enough.

IMNSHO, the sub character must mate well with the mains. As a composer friend once opined after hearing my system and enquiring "Those little speakers aren’t putting out all that gorgeous bass?!?!?!?" … "Every other subwoofer I’ve ever heard just boomed!!"
I was first gonna slam and then epically eviscerate ieales (with one hand tied behind my back) for that first one. But then came this:
As a composer friend once opined after hearing my system and enquiring "Those little speakers aren’t putting out all that gorgeous bass?!?!?!?" … "Every other subwoofer I’ve ever heard just boomed!!"

His great appeal to authority is a composer. Hey ieales! You mean, like Beethoven? The famously deaf composer? 

I have indeed met my match. IMNSHO, of course.

As an owner of three JL Audio subs (all requiring repair at one time or another (due to the well known cheap-a-- Chinese capacitors in their amps) I must say that they do sound great. if I was starting again though, I’d probably opt for the SVS sealed subs SB16s. The JL stuff is just too overpriced in a competitive market.
You mean, like Beethoven? The famously deaf composer?
No. Composers that write music for unamplified instruments. Then hear it played in concert or a large recording studio.

Only a small portion of Beethoven's output occurred after he was deaf.