Thought My Harbeth M40.1's Were Forever Speakers - Guess Not

I've owned my Harbeth 40.1's for about 4 years and absolutely LOVE them.  
The only speakers I've considered replacing them with are the 40.2's, and while I've dreamed of getting a pair, I really never felt like I needed anything more than the 40.1's.  They are SO good!
Well, after a great year for my business along with a great opportunity to buy a pair of 40.2 Anniversary model speakers, I've decided to pull the trigger.  
I'm posting this mostly because I can hardly contain my excitement and wanted to share it with you, but I'm also looking for feedback from others who've made this same move.  
Everything I've read about the 40.2 model has been overwhelmingly good.  I do not expect to be disappointed.  
Thanks!

128x128snackeyp
@snackeyp 
Have the 40.2's arrived?  If yes, can you share your comparison to the 40.1's?

Fellow 40.2 owner here....surprised you guys having success with moderate power amplification as I did not find the 40.2 could play full range sound on broad spectrum of rock music until I went from integrated pass labs 250 and vac integrated to pass labs monoblocks....now it can play non audiophile modern rock loud and well...I guess every room has different acoustics explaining differences...

Harbeth are one of my favorite speakers (I owned the SuperHL5plus for a while). I’ve heard the 40.2s a couple times and recently got a nice audition of them at a store (in a big room).

Before I put on my tracks they played a track with a female singer accompanied by a muted trumpet (and I think maybe some light drums?).  I was taken aback! It was probably THE most 3 dimensional, corporeal imaging I’ve ever heard! The singer seemed way back in the "stage" but fleshed out, properly sized and, well, corporeal and dense. When the trumpet entered off to the side, same thing. This big round, tonally convincing trumpet just appeared. The Harbeths have a way of making many other speaker imaging sound flattened and lightweight.

When I threw on a bunch of my tracks there was more excellent soundstaging/imaging - a really big sound. Though I was finding the bass a little pudgy. (Maybe the big room worked for the big soundstaging, but somehow against the bass control?).

Generally it all had the nice Harbeth richness, roundness and weight, with nice accurate-sounding tonality. Though for whatever reason I wasn’t finding myself totally seduced by what I was hearing. There was a bit of a polite, reserved quality to the sound, where it sort of "sat back behind the speakers" in terms of staging and not being tonally forward.The Thiel 3.7s I owned (and to some degree my 2.7s) gave me a lot of what I heard with the Harbeths in terms of image size/weight (though not as much), but with a bit more energy and toe-tapping quality.

My current Joseph speakers also do a great job with bass-driven music, with a reach-out-and-grab-you bass quality.

Still, the 40.2s are one of those speakers that I want to spend more time with some day. Ultimately they don’t really fit my room aesthetically and practically. But they sure have some special qualities that separate them from the pack (in terms of what interests me sonically).

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay.  It took me a while to get the speakers and set them up.  Holiday madness delayed things a bit.

Here are some initial observations of mine:

Hooked up the new speakers yesterday.

Unpacking these speakers is a chore, and best done by two people, but I didn’t have anyone around to help when I opened mine, and honestly I prefer to do it myself so I can give 100% focus to it and block out the noise.  Moving them is also a chore.  I did have a friend help me with this and I’m glad I did.  It's nice to have the grunt work done and be able to relax and spend time with them now.

I have Tontraeger stands for them, which are perfect IMO.  

At first listen they sounded tight and bright.  Really harsh is the only way to say it.  Not good.

30 minutes later they began loosening up and sounded much better.

Five hours of listening on them now and they are starting to produce their magic.  

Absolutely love them!

They already sound better than the 40.1’s, and that is really something considering how good those speakers sound.

I think they need several more hours of break-in.  Some people have said as much as 200 hours.  Not sure but I guess I’ll find out.

Just took the grilles off, and can honestly say I think they sound better with them on, but the olive wood finish is just too beautiful to cover up!

Feeding them a steady diet of analog and digital music, ranging from folk to classic rock to classical and loving it all.  The best way to describe the sound is that the music just sounds "right."  The sound is so natural and easy on the ears that it calms me to just sit here and play them all day, which is what I plan to do today (it's Saturday and there is freezing rain outside - no need or desire to leave the house).  

I played the new Mofi UH1S copies of Blood On The Tracks as well as SRV's first album last night.  Holy Schitt was that a treat!  This morning it's digital versions of Wilco's library that are providing the magic.  

Thanks,

Peter

Congrats....

How do you feel about the tontrager as it looks a little precarious as a a stand....i am using skylan here in earthquake country LA.