best CD player or DAC under $1000

What is the best CD player or DAC for under $1000.00? How musical can a player or Dac be fot that money?
84audio
Museatex Bitstream can be bought completely modified for around that much. I doubt there is any DAC out there that sounds better in the similar price range.
I have Music Hall CD25 modified by Sound Odyssey. It's a performance stage 2 upgrade. Sounds very good. I think it is musical enough in my system. You may want to check it out. They have 30 day return policy. Modified player is only $845 including shiping. Oh, and I compared it directly to Marantz SA-8260 and if I was blind folded, I wouldn't tell the difference. Marantz player is also an SACD unit, but Music Hall will only play cd and hdcd. But it does it very well. Marantz is about $1000 I think. Another suggestion is DAC-1 by Benchmark. Read great things about it, but unfortunately have no experience to share. Good lluck.
The latest Tube Research Labs Sony modified model 2000ES is without peer, in my humble opinion, for its extremely low cost vs. performance ratio. I have been switching between an APL modified Phillips and the Sony modified TRL now for about a month in the same rack. Granted, it took the TRL about 700 hours of continuous break in to come up to the musical level of performance that distinguishes the APL from its competition, but once this level of musicality was achieved by the latest TRL, the cost/performance ratio weighed heavily in my mind. There can be no accurate comparison between these two companies because of the cost. The TRL being solid state won't exaggerate female vocals, like they are close miked, when they're not,and that uniquely is a characteristic of tubes, but the TRL does recreate a level of performance that makes the unit worth four to five times its cost, and just as much of a delight to listen to. I find myself listening far more to the TRL modified Sony and wondering, why people pay upwards of $ 4000 for any level of transitional CD, SACD or DVD playback when they can get this level of performance now for a pittance. If it is mere build quality,that one is after,that is not the modifier or mod, but the manufacturer of the base unit and its manufactured cost. I would like to send TRL a Denon or Esoteric and step back, but what for, when the difference can go into a Franklin Income Fund. I hope this answers the above question. I like both units very much. It just happens the $ 875 TRL 2000 is a recent occurrance and I don't usually spend multi thousands of dollars to achieve world class sound that is only world class for a couple of years, when new and better (mods) technologies crop up. I didn't know about the TRL Sony 2000ES MOD or its existence prior to purchasing my new condition, used APL, but the experience of having both is an eye opener and a listening pleasure.