New upper trim level Corvette or seven year old used amps?

Recently I have experienced quite a few people I know either passing on or being diagnosed with some type of cancer. And as I have never strived to be the richest guy in the graveyard, I was thinking of buying one of the new Corvettes. I also started to look at my older tube amps, good, but I had had them for about nine years, and the whole tube thing....then I started to think about some SS amps( I know, I’m going to hell). TAD M600, Dagostino M400, and then ventured into Dartzeel territory. Long story shorter: I came upon a pair of used Dartzeel 458’s, totally crazy price, totally crazy good. I have had them about a month and have enjoyed over 100 hours of listening nirvana. Had I bought the vette and drove it 100 hours, I’d have lost my drivers license, and spent thousands on tires, fuel, fines, etc.  
myth buster: it’s all worth it! Expensive power and speaker cables, interconnects, speakers, and Dartzeel 458’s.
Anyone that tells you otherwise is using cost not quality as a determining factor.
Enjoy the music and Life

Matt

mrmatt
After a few decades of moving up the performance car ladder - ending with a 911 Turbo S, I realized that these cars are totally out of their element on public roads. Driving with any level of responsibility or sanity, the car (particularly the Turbo S) was just loafing along. While it was pleasant to drive, I didn't feel like I was actually "driving" the car. 

On the track, it was another story - both in fun, and particularly in cost. One day at the track probably cost me $5K considering wear and tear on tires, brake pads, and ceramic brake rotors. 

Long story short - I sold the Turbo S and bought a Macan S as a daily driver and a Miata to have fun with on the back roads. With a little suspension tuning, high performance tires and exhaust, I've never had more fun on public roads without risking my license. 

And now I have more disposable income to spend on audio stuff.
Great choice millercarbon. They started galvanizing the cars in 78 which abolished the rust problem. You are however due for an engine rebuild if you have not done it already. It will cost you 10 to 15K. Just giving you the warning if you are not aware already. It is just the price of owning an air cooled car. If you really want a killer motor send the car to Flat 6 Solutions, Jake Raby’s shop. Best engine re builders in the States. They are always a year out so you have to get in line. My 2006 C4S is going there next year. Generally what happens is the car will start leaking and or burning oil. It will not hurt it at all to keep driving it. Most veteran 911 drivers keep track of their oil consumption. Don’t ever sell the car. Just keep up with it. Pass it on to one of your kids. It will just keep going up in value:)

The general rule with Porsche is buy the newest one you can afford. In my case back then it was the SC. Even then it was a stretch. But worth it because while I didn’t know near as much then as now I did know the SC was galvanized, with the 3.0 probably the strongest Porsche ever made. Even so you still need to care for them and not chronically overheat like the prior owner did mine necessitating an abnormally early and major rebuild. The 150k miles are since the rebuild. It’ll easily go another 100k at least. Easily.

I mentioned mine not because its anything special but the opposite, they made thousands of these yet still they appreciate. People unfamiliar with Porsche will have no idea what I’m talking about, but "mint" has a completely different meaning to us. "Mint" to most means unbelievably perfect, like new. "Mint" to most is a pinnacle. In terms of Porsche it is just the way they are supposed to be. The closest in meaning we use is original.

This is much like the way someone who thinks they know high end will talk about how great a system makes certain music sound, while the one who really knows will say instead it merely does much less harm to the signal than most others.

The difference may seem like mere words until you look in the real world and find my car, what every 911 enthusiast would refer to as a daily driver, chock full of flaws, is nevertheless in far better condition than ones I have seen sell on Bring A Trailer for $40k. In other words if somebody thinks they know a "mint" SC for $35k either they don’t know anything about Porsches, or the seller doesn’t, or both.

This is not by the way Mike so much me talking to you as the rest of these, uh, guys. You’re sending a C4S to FSI, that is more Porsche cred than I can match, and I was PCA Region president, Driving Instructor, etc. etc. Congratulations. Whatever level and however long it takes it will be stronger, smoother, snappier, more reliable and with a better warranty than anything ever to come out of Stuttgart.

My plan is to sell the SC next year, order a new one in 21. Mostly because its been my lifelong dream to take factory delivery and tour the passes and forests. Also because track driving at 62 isn’t near as important as consuming miles and flying up mountain passes in comfort.

Lifelong dreams aside though, to drive a Jake Raby 911, wow, would I love to hear how that goes. Well done.
I just bought a classic Vette myself, yes sir! A 1986 Chevette. If I say it fast enough though, some might only pick up on the Vette part! Sigh...Its all good...
Easy to decide:  GET THE CORVETTE.

Full disclosure:  I own a '66 and went to the Corvettes at Carlisle this August and saw the car.  OMG, as the kids say.  It is a totally amazing car and I am obviously a huge C2 fan. 

The most surprising part was seeing the car in various colors AND I have pics of it "blown apart"--that is, the INSIDE of the structure.  I will be glad to send them to you if you wish--this is SOME CAR, believe me.  AND, the most amazing and elegant color was a Caddy borrow called Zeus Bronze.  Now, I HATE brown cars with a passion, but once again, OMG!

I live in what most people think is a "ritzy" town--been here for 50 years and it wasn't so "ritzy" when I moved here, but that's another issue.

Anyway, cruising up to the club in this thing would displace the MANY exotics normally seen there--you know their Italian and German and American names by heart--this car in that color--get right out of town!

Since it may be sold out where you are, possibly wait for next year as they have, according to Tadge, the chief Corvette engineer who spoke to us, MANY surprises coming--including a sound system that had to be dialed BACK it was so good.

Cheers!
Always amazes me how some "hobbies" cross-over to others.

Bought my first car at 19, a '68 427 ragtop, still have it. Still makes me smile. Don't drive it as hard as I used too.  Have a 2016 Z-51 vette, 
fabulous car, but the downside (as someone mentioned) is that once you have been on the track with it a number of times it is really hard to drive on the street. Porsche makes beautiful very capable cars, have driven many, never had the desire to own one. Same goes for Ferrari.

But, I was an audio fan first, so that really is my first love.
The only downside is I can't take it on vacation, the upside is I've never
got a speeding ticket while on the couch.

BTW Chevy has officially stated that the C8 for 2020 is sold out. I'm waiting on that Grand Sport variant.