Best CD player now made.

I am interested in getting the best CD player out there as one of my digital sources. I have a few candidates but I wanted some other opinions. Any suggestions on the Sony's top player or Mark Levinson, or even the BAT tubed affair. I realise the Transport and the DAC might be superior but I wanted to stay below 5 digits. Thanks,
thomasea1
Jburidan says .....but 303/300 is unbeatable, if you're talking redbook only.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Owners of Reimyo CDP-777, Wadia 861SE, Oracle CD-2500, Accuphase DP-85, Audiomeca Mephisto IIx, etc. may take issue with this. Care to reconsider??
??? when we are talking about players in this price range.I think it comes down to personal taste in the "voicing" of the player.
Two of the strongest advocates for the 303/300 at the audio asylum forum have gone on to purchase the 306 SACD after hearing it.I have heard the 303/300 and until i heard the 306 SACD thought it was the best digital player i had heard......the 306 SACD to my ears is much "better".
'listen to it and you will buy it"....:)
I have no problem with you saying it is the best digital player you've heard. That's undoubtedly true and I take you at your word. However for you and/or the other gentleman to say "it is unbeatable", is simply disingenuous and untrue. If you have a chance to hear any of the players I mentioned I'm sure you would understand.