HELP! Technics SL1200GR/Benz Glider Anit-Skate Setting High

I just mounted a Benz Micro Glider on a LPGear Pro Headshell which looks like the standard Technics headshell but is not up to the same quality as an original and I think is lighter.

When I first mounted it, I couldn't set the VTA correctly because the cartridge height was too low.  I had a plastic "angled" shim that I had from an old Dual DD turntable I had in the late '70's.

I installed that and was able to get the vta set OK.

But, when playing, I noticed that if I set the stylus down at the end of the last song on a side it would just fly into the label area.  I usually set the anti-skate at about 10 below the tracking force.  For the Glider the tracking force was set at 1.9 so I set the A/S at 1.  I kept increasing it until the cartridge would not fly into the label.  I ended up at 3 (the max.) A/S force.

I've never had this happen before.

I tried adding weight to the headshell and resetting everything and the anti-skate setting doesn't change still high.

I've often read many times that people usually have the A/S set too high even when they have it set to the same value as the tracking force.  Mine is set at least 10 higher?

Any ideas?

Thanks, Nick
nicktheknife
Your setup is wrong.  Its not the a/s.  Check all the parameters. Look at the stylus to make sure it is not bent and properly seated in the cartridge.  Make sure the arm itself is level,....that the overhang is correct, and then set the vtf using an appropriate scale.  When that is right, check for correct azimuth.....the very last thing is adjusting the anti-skate.   If you forget to even use the a/s..that's quite all right. When all is right you then can fool with the stylus rake angle....(probably a week later) If you then raise, lower the back, reset all the parameters yet again.
Ok.
1. Turntable is level
2. Arm is level
3. I use the overhang gauge that comes with the technics to get me in the ball park. Then I use a db systems alignment protractor to get spot on.
4. The only thing that I can find a bit off is Azimuth but just a little.

I have just tried to set the VTF to 2.0 g which is at the top end of the optimal range of 1.8 to 2.0. No change.

As I said in my OP that I’m using an angled shim that brings the back end of the cartridge down a bit. Doesn’t appear extreme but maybe it’s too much rake angle?
Change headshell and never use anything between the cartridge body and a headshell. You cartridge must be screwed to the FLAT surface (not angled). Set anti-skating just as much as the tracking force. You arm level is adjusted on the fly, make sure the arm is parallel to the record surface when you playin an LP. 
I believe that angled shim is the culprit as Chak says.
Dump it and use an original headshell if possible then set it all up again.
Heck I bet even just getting rid of the angled shim and using that headshell even with the vta out a little it will behave better in regards to antiskate.
Good luck
chakster, 

Without the shim or some type of shim I can't get the arm parallel to the record surface unless I use an extra thick mat which I'm afraid will change the sound maybe for the worse.

I had the vta adjuster set at 0 before and the back end of the arm was still higher than the front.

Are there any headshells that are designed with a lower profile to bring the front end up to where the arm is level with the surface?