Are the really pricey HT Pre Amps worth it?

Looking at a pre amp upgrade.  Are the real expensive pre amps better than a Marantz AV8805?  With prices $12k plus for even used high end pre amps here, are the extra $ really worth it?
Currently have a 11.2 Atmos config.  Marantz AV8802a, 2 monoprice (ATI) amps, Oppo, Sony 4K projector, etc.
old_marantz
How is it "better" if it doesn't sound any better?  It's still a  whole lot of compromise stuffed into one box. 

I'll admit my answer was a bit glib in a way. If my main focus was home theater or I had a dedicated home theater, it might matter enough to go all out on the processor, but then again if that was the case I'd probably be over on AVS Forum, not here.  A bit of a matter of perspective. 
Has anyone mentioned Room Correction?  I added an Anthem 5 channel AVR a year ago and remain very impressed by their Room Correction technology.  They make high end AV Processors, as well.
<< sigh >>

I wish.

The biggest problem with some mega-price pres is their likelihood of remaining in business.

I had a Theta Casanova, and I _loved_ it for music and movies. Couldn't keep up with HDMI though. It was a significantly better sounding pre/processor than Emotiva / Onkyo / Yamaha were producing.

But with the rate of change, prices and quality of output I could no longer go that route, not to mention that Theta development has limped along since HDMI, as has Meridian.

My target now is to use a Luxman integrated + Anthem pre or anthem AVR. You could do the same with Marantz. 

Best,

E
I think the only reason to pony up for the higher-end prepros is if 2-channel is important. But then, at those prices I’d rather get a decent prepro and a good stereo pre. To me, the only reason to not do this is if for some reason you can only have one box.