Romex to your amp?

One of my good friends, a non-aphile, asked me an interesting question...
I was discussing with him why my new pc made a nice improvement in my SQ.
So he asked me this question:
Why not take the Romex all the way from the wall and connect it to the amp...instead of
using an after market pc? His logic was that the in-wall cable is Romex and therefore a straight run to the power amp would be better ( or at least as good) as a break at the wall plug and an after market pc to the amp. Does he have a point??
128x128daveyf
Having replaced some Supra Lorad power cable in my system just recently, I can certainly attest to the significant improvement in SQ that the new cables brought. Still, my friends question seemed to have merit, even though that last six feet of cable made a huge difference in my system. 
For the sake of any posters within the U.S. who have other dwellers in your listening perimeter, especially younger ones, I would suggest running these "ideas" past a licensed electrician before running to Home Depot.  It will be worth the $200 for the consult and that's small change for what people pay for interconnects.  The mentions of "having a pro electrician do this of course" is just simply a pro would walk away from that request.  Also misused UL Listing means this and that.  And Romex is not "brittle".  Solid copper wire is not brittle.  Neither are spoons and knives.  Romex is a brand name for NM (non-metallic sheathed) wiring rather "conductors" usually with a ground wire.  NEC code is also not a mechanism of "best practices" whether something violates the "code" or not.  The "code" is a recommendation that can be waived by jurisdiction authority.  NEC (code) is not based in how to do things, it is created and revised based upon histories of sources of fires from when fire inspectors go through and figure out the origin of the fire or issues that could cause a fire hazard.  Shock and safety and survival via exit distances and number of entrances are there as well as mostly for commercial situations, but these discussions about merits of running solid unsecured wiring in the open within dwelling areas is scary.  Solid wires are NOT brittle but as a paper clip can be broken by repeated movement so can solid electrical wire.  It could still function, but eventually could arc within the shielding and cause a fire.  Hence why all power cords are stranded cable. They are tested over time to be safe for use in situations where the wiring/power cords are being moved or bended other than installation or maintenance.  And it take more thickness of stranded cable to equal solid cable.  But solid cable does not get as affected by oxidation as stranded cable either.  Unless your circuits are protected by arc fault current interruptor breakers you may arrive home someday watching red trucks dousing your homes.  Normal breakers and even GFCI won't provide any protection.  New home built four or five years ago have these pretty much everywhere but it's still a hazard and hassle having solid wire running loosely where human traffic is involved.  I agree most discussions require no moderators at all, some of these need them desperately.  When your house burns down it doesn't matter how great your golden ears remembered how well the last "improvement" sounded.  Pretty much any of the "evidence" of what these types of changes do, or the equipment otherwise suggested is simply provided by the manufacturers of those items in the first place.  I think some of these posting are hyperbole just goading people into something unwise.
Excellent post skipskip. I think you definitively provided the reason nobody should do this and why it is a code violation. In my case I never tried hardwiring my sytem into the Romex because it is a code violation, but I didn’t know why it was one. Thanks for explaining that. Building codes exist for a reason, and that’s for the safety of homeowners and renters.

No offense to the daveyf who started this excellent thread, but I think in the light of skipskip’s post the moderators should shut down this thread before someone gets tempted to court fate and give skipskip the final word on this subject. When I first thought of hardwiring my system this way I thought it would be a clever way to bypass needing those extravagantly priced power cords. Not so clever to reduce the noise floor inexpensively and in the process create a fire hazard that threatens you and yours.

Mike
Wow! Um, I actually DO hate to tell you fellows this, but simply as a public service? I shall...
     "All", of you are wrong! With the exception of "Skipskip", whom has it "Mostly", correct. "Skip? The NEC, IS also for how to do everything as well. But It is not a "Guide", nor is it a "Recommendation". (Plan, Build and Use) are the three main parts of the NEC.
 And, It IS federal law. And for very good reason. But not "A, Federal Law" pers'e. Yes, Local code "always" supercedes. But that is actually rare. And when it is done? That code is and shall always be; "Very Specific" in it's scope, implementation AND "Intent". Most local jurisdictions have no addendum at all.
   No, You "may", be able to get an electrician to do what you after. But the odds are good that anyone worth his salt would walk. But as they say, "Money talks and bull...." (You know)!
 As the "End User"?
 You, "Can" do any crazy wiring that you wish to. But should you?
All I can say to that is; "I did". And Yes, It made an improvement. The first person that I am aware of that followed this to it's ultimate, extrapolated and legal end? Was a fellow in Japan back in the 60's whom swore by it. He had an entire separate "Service" installed. "Including ext. power poles and transformers, plus power meter and all etc...." ….
 Even "I" was not willing to go that far. But I upgraded from standard 12AWG, solid NM wire. What most of you call, "Romex".  And "Romex", "IS" just a "Brand Name"! "I do not know about right now, but stranded Romex has been available and probably still is".  To a "Stranded 10AWG, THHN" wire. "THHN has Teflon insulation/shielding". Why? Most of you I believe actually know this but here. And "NO", I am not going to go into the "Physics" of it today.... I am getting tired of that! 
Just as the elec. "Charge", "actually", moves across the "Skin", or outside of any conducting wire. So does any "Signal". "As inside your speaker cabling or interconnects". 
 Therefore;
If you were to calculate the effective surface area of any "Solid" wire. And then compare that to the same area of any "Stranded" wire? Would there be any difference?
"Yes".
And that can be controlled to a certain point by the number of strands per Kcmill, insulation type, implementation of said insulation, and-"Yada, yada, yada"...About 1000 diff. variables actually.
 "That I am aware of". 
 Also, "Siemens", "Say's So", as well. They did a HUGE study on "just" this. After finding that some of their equipment simply would NOT run correctly when wired internally or externally with "Solid", 12Awg copper wire. But ran great with the stranded wire it was designed with. "And they still do not understand the why of it". And, "Neither do I", fully.
 No, "I do not work for "Siemens", never have. But they can be fun to argue with! "See last paragraph".
Basically, we have found through experience, study and plain 'ole, "Trial and Error". That "Stranded", wire is better for everything. And in all ways. "As I understand it". There was someone, "See Above", making claims that "Stranded wire" had a higher inductance. Yes it does, as it has "higher" numbers in nearly all of it's material properties compared to a solid core conductor. But inductance, "Only" in higher frequencies. Meaning the one's easiest to "Induct". Which also seem to be the easiest to "filter out" anyway.. "Iron ferrite cores, for instance". And if you are filtering anyway? It becomes a "Null" point. If a filter works for any given freq. set? It filters as an "absolute". Therefore the "other", gains in the materials properties outweigh that negative. Someone else also brought up the resistance value differential. That's wrong. Backwards in fact. And has to do with bad science and "Bad", terminations. But again, "No Physics today".
  Well, that's my two cents.