What do you say to your audiophile friends who say you just listen to your equipment more

Than your music. I have my retort but let me hear yours. Not everybody understands us. Thanks. 
128x128blueranger
It has always been amazing to me how a well thought out full range system with good imaging can be so divisive. Among the people I count as friends there is only one audiophile and if anything I tell him just listen
to the music.  He claims he does as he keeps flippin' equipment.

My non-audiophile friends fall into three categories:

1) dismissive:  It REALLY takes all that equipment just to make some music. You should hear the stereo in my car!

2) myopic:  Walk right past a dedicated room full of equipment and appear to not acknowledge its existence.

3) music lover: They just walk right in sit right down and ask to listen to
anything.  And after some time then make a request.

I get along with all of these types.  My favorite listening is when I'm alone.
Now that can be an entire thread!

You know what’s even worse, is when your friends say you only listen to tweaks. That’s precisely why I had to take the relatively drastic step of blindfolding visitors and friends before entering. Loose lips 👄 sink ships. 🚢 
It's interesting how some of my friends sit down and listen and they still don't get it. Occasionally, a friend will sit and you play something he or she has heard hundreds of times and you can see it happening. They are hearing that song for the first time. They are amazed by the depth and width of the sound stage. Drawn in by the bass beat and clear mid range and detailed highs. Sometimes startled by the clarity and realism of the lead singer. I love it when they get it. It gives us one more thing to talk about!
All of my non-audiophile friends are exactly like my extended family. They all think I'm bat-s**t crazy. I've stopped trying to convince them long ago. There isn't a family member who even owns a CD player ... not even in their cars. They've all entered the modern world of I-phones and earbuds.

Being single for over 20 years, I've brought a lot of newly acquired female acquaintances over to the house. Upon first going into the living room, which is now my dedicated listening room, they always get a weird look on their faces and then ask the same question which is ..."why do you do this?" I always answer the same way. I gleefully say, with a smile ... "because I can." :-)

Frank

I am a music lover. I listen to mostly classical music, but also jazz, female vocals, and  classic rock. The gear matters; however, I have (mostly) learned to be content with low high-end affordable equipment such as Triangle floorstanding speakers, reference Marantz electronics, Kimber cables, VPI turntable, Denon 103 cartridge, etc. I say “mostly”, because I look on Audiogon almost daily for what is available and also read the forums. But I can appreciate stuff without having to own it. Contentment is an attainable choice, perfection is not. 
     These days, 5 years into retirement, my  wife and I enjoy traveling and supporting certain needful non-profits (Church, schools, indigent ministries, etc.). My wife and friends don’t understand the need for more gear. I have two friends who listen intently, and we often share listening sessions. Mostly, however, I listen alone. I look forward to early morning sessions with Bach and empty house moments with the volume turned up, exploring genres other than classical. I love music. I love the way it can move me and go straight to my soul. I love the palate of emotions that it brings, but I have become content with the gear. That may mean that I am not an audiophile, just a music enthusiast, but contentment is a choice.
John Dean