Not too knowledgeable and a cartridge/ phono amp recommendation is desired

I’m looking to improve my simple system in stages and need some ideas. Currently my 2 channel system is an Outlaw RR2160 receiver, Klipsch Heresy w/Crites crossovers/tweeters. The current turntable in the system is Thorens TD 160 Super with a Jelco SA-750 tone arm and a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. My other turntable is a VPI Scout with JMW Memorial Tonearm and a 2m Bronze cartridge and connected to a surround system that does it no justice. The front speakers in the surround system are PSB Imagine Ts. I find the Klipsch while a little brighter they are definitely more detailed. I actually prefer them. I’ve tried both with the Outlaw.
I’m going to incorporate the VPI into my 2 channel sytem and think a pre amp and cartridge is in order. I honestly do not know how to incorporate a pre amp into my receiver or setup the turntable properly with a new cartridge. I listem mostly to Blues and roots type music. Currently Eilen Jewell on the Thorens. My max budget is $2000 dollars for pre amp and cartridge but would like to spend  less. Speakers(Cornscala are on my radar) and then amp will be next. Sound advice is desired. Thanks in advance for any response.
14point1
After reading a few reviews of your receiver it appears to sound much better if you stick to mm cartridges, there are a number of great ones available so you may want to head in that direction. Moving iron may also be a good option. I've always had great luck buying gently used where you can get much more for your $$..
Your system(s) is not as simple as you've indicated.  Recommend you set aside the surround system for movies only. Two channel is where it's at for vinyl playback.

That leaves you with the Outlaw receiver and two turntables: a vintage Franken-Thorens and a newer VPI.  If you like having two turntables, hook them both up to the Outlaw receiver for now.  Use the MM (moving magnet) phono input for the Thorens.  Buy a $125 Schiit Mani phono stage for the VPI.  The Mani can accept either moving magnet or moving coil cartridges, and it it's very good for the money. It's easy to attach the Mani to your Outlaw by connecting it to an AUX or other line level input. Set up this way, you can shuffle between the two turntables and maybe swap cartridges around to see which one you like better and which turntable you like better.  You can also test the Mani against the built-in phono stage in the Outlaw.  I'll bet that the Mani will be superior.  I also have a hunch you'll like the VPI set up somewhat more than the Thorens, but you never know, right? Then sell the turntable that is lesser, or for fun get a mono cartridge (if you have mono records) and use it on the lesser turntable as a dedicated mono rig alongside the other turntable that is set up for stereo.

goheelz You are correct in your assessment. The VPI is a superior table to the Vinyl Nirvana Thorens table in my opinion, although the Thorens is nothing to complain about. I bought the Thorens for use in the basement in my recent house for a dedicated 2 channel system to listen to while playing pool. I like it so much it warrants some improvement. The VPI was attached to a different AV receiver in the old house which was far superior in 2 channel mode than what I replaced it with in the new house. That amp will be upgraded at some point and one of my turntables will potentially be returned to that system.
I will be running both tables and will leave the Thorens alone and use it in the Outlaw’s phono stage and run the VPI with a phono stage. I’ll buy the phono stage before I purchase a new cartridge. I’m thinking I may want a little more phono stage than the Mani but I could be wrong. I plan on gradual improvements in equipment in this system. For the short term just improving the VPI end is on deck. Any other recommendations on phono stage or do you think the Mani is enough? I did some quick research on the JTLi recommended by “chakster” and it seems worthwhile. It is quite a bit more money though and I could invest in speakers sooner spending less than something in the $1000 or on vinyl maintenance items like a record cleaner, stylus cleaner and anti static equipment.
There’s a Parasound Z Phono on sale at Safe and Sound I think it would be a step up from the Mani. 
You may want to wait and decide where you are headed system wise before investing in a phono pre. If you step up in integrated it may we'll have a satisfactory phono section. It's no fun to upgrade one piece and then notice other equipment is holding it back.
The VPI is a very nice to and watched with the right equipment can deliver killer sound.