Subwoofer rumble issue

I’m having a hard time solving a problem that seems to come and go. My subwoofer will rumble uncontrollably when playing records at a higher volume. If I turn the volume down sharply it goes away but when I creep the volume back up it comes back. I’ve tried isolating my turntable as much as possible with diy books, isolation feet, etc. (I don’t want to buy an expensive isolation platform unless that really is the issue.) Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this? Thx!
paulgardner
I had the same problem with my 3 VPI tables (I no longer have them).  I tried everything under the sun and spent lots of cash on maple platforms, granite, special feet, Target shelf bolted to wall, nothing worked.  The KAB rumble filter which goes in either a tape loop or between pre and power amp solved the problem  It cost 179.00.  It uses all audiophile grade parts inside and there is no loss of bass or any frequency's.  I have had many different people over the house who could not hear a difference as I didn't either.

Everyone will tell you it is a band aid approach but it works and totally solves the problem.  My new Technics SL1200G does not have that problem, not sure why.
  Paul....could also be a bad bearing in the turntable.  If you have a 45 speed, listen for the change in the rumble.  What is your turntable brand
Its unlikely you're getting feedback, unless you have some really lightweight rig with a dust cover sitting on a flimsy particle board rack, something that extreme. In which case, remove the dust cover.

People confuse feedback with rumble and its easy to do since it all seems the same but they're really quite different and its a really hard problem to solve if you can't tell the difference.

There's mechanical vibrations coming from the sub sitting on the floor. There's also mechanical vibrations coming from the rack being made to move by low bass sound pressure. Either way results in added platter/cartridge vibration that can over drive your subs.

A filter is one answer. But this does nothing to address the real problem. The extra vibration is still there, you've only gotten rid of the obvious part to the problem. The guy telling you no one can hear the difference is missing the point. The comparison is not between the filter and no filter, the comparison is between the filter and a rack that lowers subsonic noise down to the same level. Which of course will be a lot better.

The solution is trial and error. It can be as simple as taking something like some lids from a large open mouth jar, turning them upside down, packing with sand and putting the table on them. To at the other extreme filling a box a couple inches deep with sand (always mix with oil so it packs down and stays dust-free) with a platform of wood, MDF or stone laying on top of the sand. To the creme de la creme, a concrete/ABS/sand and granite stand with carbon fiber. https://www.theanalogdept.com/c_miller.htm
You will not get any feedback with this, let me tell you! 

paulgardner OP3 posts11-17-2019 2:11pmGeorge- I’ll give that a try when I get home tomorrow. Thank you

Yep air-born feedback.
I bet nearly 100% it’s your problem.

1: Remember system all on including sub (not in standby auto switching mode).
2: Stylus on a record but not spinning,
3: Turn volume up to your normal loud position.
4: One hand on the volume control, with the other hand solidly tap the turntable plinth with end of your finger .

And watch your "finger donk" on the TT plinth turn into an ever increasing earthquake with airborn-feedback and continue to get louder and louder as it starts to run away and if not stopped will take out your amp and speakers.

Cheers George