Time to upgrade - need advice - budget $7,500

Hey guys and gal, :)

My first post here but long time lurker when in need of some audio advice.

I’ve got a chance to make some upgrades but I’m having trouble coming to a decision. For reference this is a 2.1 setup in my living room that also plays the TV audio. Currently using Epos Elan 30 floorstanders with Emotiva PT-100 and A-300. I’ve also got Bluesound Node 2 for streaming and Paradigm Servo15 sub. Rega P3 for occassional use.

I’m pretty happy with the speakers overall and I’m optimistic they can sound even better with better source and power. I think the majority of my budget would be best spent by upgrading the pre/power side of things and have been looking at the Hegel H190 or H390 to replace the Emotiva’s. They seem to get really good reviews and I really like the aesthetics of the product itself which, to me, is a factor.

What i’m not so sure about is the built-in DAC and streaming. I don’t really want to get tied into a product that 5 years from now is obsolete and I will have to be adding a new DAC to keep up with the times. The H390 does MQA and DSD but is also quite a jump in price over the H190 - basically my entire budget. From what i’ve heard the H190 will be more than enough power but is now a couple years old and does not do MQA or DSD.

Would I be better off finding a separate streaming and power amp solution? I can then always upgrade the streamer as technologies advance and as needs change.

Also looking at SVS SB-3000 to update the sub mostly for it’s room correction and price relative to the competition.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

M

mattshere
@mattshere  Keeping an open mind about your entire system, including your speakers is important...no matter what your final choices are. 

@grey9hound  was helping in that regard. You might be surprised how your "weighting" adjusts when you hear something that moves you. 

In terms of a DAC, I suggest focusing less on the "tech" and more on the sound quality. There are many reasonably priced DACs, including older ones that nail this. This will allow you to focus on a "pure" integrated.

The other option is to consider integrateds with Streaming / DAC  modules. This may address your 'future-proofing' concerns.
I agree with david_ten on "latest tech" of DACs.  MQA is really not a game changer.  It is just a way to encrypt standard hi-res audio (such as 24/96) so that it can be streamed over the internet.  It doesn't mean it's going to sound better.  I would rather listen to CDs on an extremely good DAC/audio stage than MQA on an average DAC. 

DSD, however, will elevate the sound quality over the same recording using PCM. (that is, if it was mastered or recorded as DSD and not just a PCM-to-DSD conversion).
@dweller @grey9hound @tweak1 @david_ten @jackd 

Wow, lots to think about.  Thank you for all your inputs, this was exactly why I posted here. There are options here I never considered and will definately take a look.  Cheers!

A few have suggested a speaker upgrade and I agree but at this time I'd like to spend more to invest in the pre/po side of things and then make a speaker upgrade as funds allow.  This will take a while longer but will give me some time with whatever pre/po I choose to help decide on a speaker selection and I will (hopefully) end up with a better system in the end.  I could see a speaker upgrade in the next 12-18 months. 

As a follow up, I went to my local Hegel dealer to listen to the H190 and Dynaudio Evoke 30 as this is a speaker I really like the look of and would fit in our living room.  The dealer was great, had them all setup when I got there but the session didn't last long as we couldn't get away from some shrill, compressed sounding treble.  The very top end wasn't terrible but cymbal crashes and higher vocal notes really took on a harsh quality that made for a short session.  The dealer admitted the Dynaudio's were taken out of the box yesterday and that it must have had something to do with them not being broken in.  

No problem.  He offered to move the Hegel to another area where he had a pair of Harbeth SHL5+ along with the Luxman L-507uXII and L-550AXII setup.  This was great as I had wanted to hear the Lux's after @luxmancl38's suggestion and reading some good reviews though i'm not totally in love with the looks.  

We first tried the 507uXII paired with Harbeth's and WOW...  What a beautiful sounding combo.  I was really impressed by the sound - clear highs but not overly harsh or in your face.  Smooth mids and bass with nice depth but still natural.  Never boomy or bloated.  Just a really nice presentation that I could listen to all day long with any type of music.  

We then moved to the 550AXII and then the Hegel H190.  The Hegel was good and definately provided more bass along with a slightly tighter sound and more focused sweet spot or sound stage.  It was still good but I much preferred the greater imaging of the 507uXII and what seemed like greater depth to the sweet spot in all directions.  It also had more air up top where the music seemed to float all around and filled the room.  We went back to to the 507uXII and it was clearly the winner for me.  Despite not loving the looks the sound was fantastic which is making the look grow on me.  Another big win for the Lux - the LOUDNESS button!!!  This is huge as I often listen after my wife and kids have gone to bed so this makes listening at lower volumes sound more dynamic and actually sounded really good in the demo.  Even listening at higher levels I could see this saving some poor recordings and is a nice option along with tone controls.  Apprarently it has a very capable phono stage as well which is nice.  

Deposit paid it should arrive in the next week or so.  Harbeth's are on the short list as well but I would like to hear the Evoke 20's again as I do prefer the smaller size and the cabinets are really nice.  It will be tough to beat those SHL5+ though.  Thanks for all your help and assistance!
If you buy a speaker solely on looks rather than the sound you enjoyed you will soon regret it. Harbeth and Luxman or LFD are a winning combo.