Are there any current high end dipole speakers (dynamic)?

Looking to upgrade my decades old system which includes Mirage M3si.  No they ain't perfect, but the speakers disappear and that kind of sound is very appealing.  Electrostatics (bipoles?)aren't the same (though when my mirage's die, I'll probably get maggies).
Thanks for your time.
berner99
berner99 wrote: "So while sound walking around the room may or may not be a marketing gimmick, a 3" sweet spot means something fundamental is wrong. c. Also in any indoor concert some percentage of sound reaching you will be indirect. Are most speakers today direct radiators? " 

"Direct radiator" speakers still generate a lot of off-axis energy and therefore a lot of reflections.

At most normal listening distances in most rooms, most of the sound that reaches your ears is reflected sound. And most of that reflected sound started out as off-axis energy. What we perceive is a weighted average of the direct + reflected sound, which implies that what a speaker is doing off-axis (including around back!) matters.

A bipole or dipole speaker produces additional spectrally-correct reverberant energy. With proper set-up (dipole and bipole speakers should be out in the room several feet), this results in a warm, relaxing, rich timbre. They also do a good job of conveying a sense of immersion and of disappearing as the apparent sound source.

I’m a dealer for dipole speakers and used to build bipolar speakers. What I do now shares some common ground with bipolars, and I still think very highly of the format.

Duke
berner99, I do not wish to be presumptuous, but it seems firing full range fore and aft now is considered a faux pas. It's pretty old technology and there have been some wonderful advancements, i.e. all these open baffle dynamic speakers, since then. I never could get past the sense that they were inherently more sloppy than traditional designs when I heard them several times years ago. 

Pertaining to your second paragraph of question/observations, perhaps it would be best for you to think in terms of "concentration" of energy when thinking about which type of speaker would best suit. I often use the analogy of straight line wind versus tornado. Both have powerful fronts, but the straight line wind is a wall of sound, overall less concentrated than tornado. Tornado is tightly packed and while less distributed, more forceful. Now, apply this to panels and dynamic speakers; the panel is like straight line wind, while the dynamic speaker is like tornado. 

You will overall get more tightly focused center image and bigger variance with dynamics with dynamic drivers. You will overall get more diffuse center image (larger and less dense) and less variance in dynamics. Forget the "walk around" variable; it does nothing to determine the final happiness with the seated listening to a speaker system - unless you will be up and around while listening constantly. 

When I establish a system with this particular genre of speaker my goal is to claim the best of both worlds with an open baffle dynamic speaker at least 60" tall. I would not wish to settle for less than at least 2 15" woofers per side and a speaker ideally 60" or taller. There are some wonderful speakers of similar (but not identical) ilk mentioned here already. The PAP Horn 1 (or other variants) does not meet the height criterion, but that is easy fixed with a bit of imagination.  :)

I advise you to keep your current speakers, and buy new ones as well. Swap them out whenever you feel like it. You will begin to hear substantive differences, ones that cannot be mimicked by the other. It's a great way to gain appreciation for the vast palate of sound available, and to slowly determine which technology suits your ears the most. 

Berner, a dipole is a speaker that radiates from both sides out of phase with each other. A bipole is one that radiates from both sides in phase.
Both ESLs and planar magnetics like Maggies are dipoles. Bipoles and Dipoles have distinctly different characteristics.

Douglas,

I’m certainly open to improvements, and assume current products can do better than my over 20 year old speakers, and will investigate but at a minimum they have to produce this experience (sorry for repetition but as audiokinesis describes):

A bipole or dipole speaker...With proper set-up...results in a warm, relaxing, rich timbre. They also do a good job of conveying a sense of immersion and of disappearing as the apparent sound source.

And thanks for taking the time to describe details in different types of speaker above.

audiokinesis,

"Direct radiator" speakers still generate a lot of off-axis energy and therefore a lot of reflections...At most normal listening distances in most rooms, most of the sound that reaches your ears is reflected sound

Wouldn’t the amount of reflected sound that reaches listener be very different from dipole/bipole vs any random ported box speaker? And which is one is closer to what person would hear in e.g. symphony hall?

mijostyn.

Thanks, I understand what dipoles and bipoles are and that they are very different, and yet if my decades old memories are correct, maggies (dipoles) and my mirages (bipoles) produce a similar reaction in me.

I heard the spatial speakers (not sure which models) at the capital audio fest and they were breathtaking.... dynamic, open, airy, natural, and live. One of the few speakers that produced that "she is here singing now before me" sensation. And the bass was shockingly good... tight and deep. Amazing considering that the base drivers are dipole!