Modding Synergistic Research MPC to Galileo status

I recently had the good fortune of upgrading my stock Synergistic Research MPCs closer to Galileo Status by the help of a friend who is inclined to do such work.

He replaces the Synergistic MPC's four cheap, general purpose 1 amp rectifier diodes with four ultra fast, soft recovery IXYS rectifier diodes and the 470uf 50 volt dirt cheap chinese electrolytic cap with a 680uf Panasonic FM extremely low impedance, high ripple current, long life (7000 hrs). It is now a super low noise power supply.

This mod provides better shielding to Synergistic Research cables resulting in more transparency, blacker backgrounds, increased detail and warmth with even lower noise floor than stock MPCs.

I was really taken aback by the improvements mentioned above. When considering the cost of a Galileo MPC, this mod is a downright bargain.

The cost of this mod will be $40-50. I can provide contact information for additional questions regarding components and price.
128x128michaelspallone
Yes, an10490413 I am still V2 modifying and repairing all SR MPCs to now of course much better than Galileo MPC status. I realize that SR has moved on from using MPCs, but there are still quite a few owners of SR's previous excellent Tesla, Element, and even older actively shielded lines that can greatly benefit sonically from my V2 modification performed on their MPC. rodman99999 I do pop in from time to time and very much appreciate forwarding contact info. 

The following is a message that I received from Audiogon member (millercarbon) aka Chuck about his thoughts & impressions of my V2 modified SR MPC

Michael,

Got home last night eager to unpack and have a listen. Running out of quality conditioned outlets I decided to just plug them into the wall. Which is a really crappy outlet, barely holds a grip, not even on the dedicated line. Plugged em in but didn't connect yet. Turned my amp on to warm up a few minutes. Usually hit all the wires with anti-static spray then run a demagnetizer over them and finally the record just before each side. Well I have noticed this removes a layer of grain and grunge. Anyway, skipped that. Went straight to Nancy Bryan, but just for a minute, just to get my bearings.

Then without even pausing I got up and swapped the leads. Immediately noticed somewhat greater depth and a bit more presence but not much else. Well, I mean come on, its only a few minutes out of the box. I have for more than 20 years now enjoyed listening to the fascinating changes things go through as they settle in. So here we go...

Within a few minutes the sound was a lot fuller and smoother and present. By the end of the first side it was already far beyond anything I'd ever heard from the CTS with Galileo MPC. Even before the side was over I was all "are you kidding me?" enough to get up and swap back to the Galileo. Because it seemed incredible to be so much better so soon. But with the Galileo the sound was so flat and dull and unconvincing I could only take it for a few seconds. Back to the mod. Ahh! That's the ticket!

With CTS it is impossible to say what it does best, bass, imaging, etc. Its all fantastic. With this its much easier. Your modded MPC unveils an incredible wealth of inner detail, the most subtle shadings, dynamically and tonally, that really lets the music breathe. I mean it just brings it to life.

Listening to Holly Cole "Temptation" I was repeatedly blown away by the vibrato and tremolo. What a voice. But before, compared to this it was like she was singing monotone. Now she is right there and full of emotion. Just crazy amazing. Plus there is a real presence, and not the hyped etched exaggerated leading edge BS that so many call detail but the real thing, smooth and natural yet palpably present. Kind of thing most people hear and say wow good speakers. Nah, same speakers.

Another thing that hit me, this is exactly like what I heard the first time when I swapped out the diodes in my old Aronov integrated. Same across the board improvement in reducing noise and grunge, revealing dynamic detail free of grain, greater depth and layering, everything top to bottom just so much more effortlessly there.

And this is with less than an hour- and plugged into an ordinary crap wall outlet!

Good work, Michael!

Chuck

pmboyd, to answer your question. I think you would very much enjoy the improvements made by my V2 modification done to your MPC for your SR Resolution Reference digital cable. It will help to bring out even more air & sustain and create a more wide open 3D soundstage.