Is it even possible to set up a system in 12x12 room?

I am moving next week and there is an extra room that is 12x12 with 9 foot ceiling. This will not be my main system but I have an extra gear I would like to use. I have never set up a system in a square room and definitely not this small of a room. I have a couple pair of 8 ohm 87 db monitors that go down around 40 to 50hz and a pair of 6 ohm 87db floorstanders that go to 27hz with ports in the front. I have a el84 tube amp that is 25 watts and a 150 watt solid state amp with a tube Preamp. The couch will have to go directly on back wall and may be able to pull speakers 2 to 3 feet off front wall and maybe a foot or so off side walls. Is there anyway to make this enjoyable to listen too? I know I'm going to have to treat room but where would panels perform best or am I wasting my time?
paulcreed
I’ve got a system set up against a 12ft short wall and on the living room end of a long (almost hallway-like) dining/living room space (old 2/1 bungalow, baby). Locked into that position as the entire length is mid-flanked by the fireplace and entry way/front door. At first I thought t would be too much, but with even minor room adjustments, it’s really pretty nice. Definitely seems, however, small treatments make an almost exponential difference, that part has been tricky. Had to work with the wifey on “compromises” ie blanket ladder, hell yes!...huge mirror, hell no!!...etc.
Sure, I'm getting excellent sound in my temporary apartment in a room roughly that size. Obviously speaker dependent.  fear not!
Another thing that you can try is to toe the speakers in so that they cross in front of your listening position.  Looks weird but it can work in some circumstances.
We see plenty of systems with the loudspeakers too far from the front wall. Yes, too far. For whatever reason there is a commonly held belief that 2, 3 feet or more is needed for good depth of soundstage. In practice, many loudspeakers can be ideally placed much closer to the front wall with better results in every aspect. Bass, imaging, width of soundstage, and better sound from more listening spots. 

If you would like help just let me know. I can walk you through the process over the phone.