I'm not even quite sure how to phrase my question, but here it goes...

So my DAC has LED's for 44, 96, 176 and so forth. I tried to get an understanding on how the different bit rates affect quality, but quickly became confused with bit depth, Flac files, Redbook and other terminology which all plays into the equation.
Can anyone point me to a dumb-down, digital for dummies kind of resource?
Thank you.
128x12861falcon
My DAC always IDs the Tidal "CD" quality as 44.1k and Master / MQA shows up as 96k....    either way it sounds great in my opinion, and like bob said, very program dependent....  I think I will do a trial Qobuz script to A / B....  My Vault is the new age equivalent of a transport....   I always loved CDs,  I like owning the physical disc...   i was very apprehensive about streaming and products like the Vault and Node....  it took a while for me to jump on the bandwagon but that thing changed the way I listen to music for the better.
There is some discussion of Amazon music here.  Along with “if you can hear the difference” comments.  All valid.  The quality of your system is a significant factor in the ability to hear that difference. And if it’s important to you. I’m on a trial with Amazon now.  Sounds great on my very nice sound system in the car but rather flat and lifeless on the main rig in the house. Inside I’m running a dCS DAC, Wilson speakers and Conrad Johnson electronics.  Amazon at their 16/44 bit rate looses the sparkle and debth of Tidal, Qobuz and well recorded CDs.  On well recorded material I can hear the difference and it’s thrilling.  One of the reasons I love this hobby.  Enjoy. 
I might add... Amazon offers HD and Ultra HD to describe their resolution choices. Both sound rather poorer to me.  Their player claims 16/44 but my DAC does not agree.  It may be their player, which they admit doesn’t provide full resolution on the internet. I downloaded the Amazon ap but little improvement. And, yes I know their volume level is less so I adjusted for that as well.  Think they have some work to do.  
Going back to the chlorine question, I test once a week (as per the installers instructions) but my neighbour says I should be doing it every six days!!!!!!
Any advice warmly welcomed.