Schiit Freya plus. Is this an upgrade?

Any opinions on this version versus the previous?

https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-2

"differential triode input with semi-circlotron follower stage"

????
recluse
I ended up with a Freya S which replaced my Adcom GFP-750.  I will post my comments here that I have posted in another forum:

Received my Freya S yesterday and hooked it up and let it run overnight so it would be nice and warmed up to compare this morning. For reference my system is as follows:

Jriver Id (Intel Nuc) Music Server
(Now using Roon to a SOTM 200)
Schiit Gungir Multibit with Gen 5 USB
Preamp- Was an Adcom GFP-750
NHT X1 Active Crossover
Sunfire Stereo Amp- Rebuilt last year
Magnepan 3.5 on Mye Stands (also rebuilt last year)
Rythmik E15 Subwoofer
Room Treatments from GIK Acoustics
Interconnects for the above are all XLR from Worlds Best Cables on Amazon, constructed with Mogami 2534 wire. I used Wireworld for my RCA connections for things like my turntable. Speaker cables are older Cardas Crosslink.

My ears are 46 years old and still work pretty well, but not as well as when they were 25.

I previously tried the original Freya pre-amp and returned it, as it sounded very veiled compared to my Adcom. I am now convinced there was something wrong with that unit. For my comparisons below, I matched volume levels as close as possible by ear and swapped cables between pre-amps while the music was paused and then would re-listen to section.

In comparison to my GFP-750, across the board the Freya has much better imaging, with voices being clearly defined in space. I have to wonder if my GFP-750 (despite a crackly volume knob) has wandered out of spec being nearly 20 years old.

Passive Comparison- The GFP-750 is a bit more lively sounding that the Freya S. The Freya was much better in the imaging department. The Freya definitely reduces the volume, even turned up all the way in passive compared to the Adcom. With the Adcom, when cranked up the volume knob is at 2:00-3:00 in passive mode, never needing full volume. On the Freya, I had it maxed at one point with a quietly recorded disc. This isn't all bad, I can stick it in that mode to prevent my wife from blowing speakers when she gets a hold of the volume knob (really, it has happened, twice, first to my MG-12s, then my MG2.7s. I told my wife the next time would cost a set of MG20s, that seems to have fixed the issue).

Active Comparison- Again, the Freya was the clear winner in imaging. The Adcom was slightly smoother in the upper midrange and lower treble, with the Freya S sounding just like it had a little glare in that area. I wouldn't take the glare as final, as the unit has less than 12 hours on it and no cycling. The high gain mode on the Freya sounds a bit punchier than the low gain.

Miscellaneous Regarding the Freya:

Passive v. Low Gain Active- Despite both having zero gain, when you switch from passive to active, the sound level increases about 3-4 db. This is true with XLR and RCA. I would expect them to be the same. The step from low gain to high gain sounds smaller than the specified 12 db.

Improvements from the original Freya- I really like the improvements from the original model. Specifically: 1) The pause and mute for 5 second going to high gain mode, no more oh crap moments. If you hit it by accident, you have time to hit the button again and go to passive. 2) The volume knob following with the remote. I like a visual reference and this provides it.

For me this is a keeper. At some point in the future, I might try the + and see what I think with the tubes, but for the time being, I am happy and find it a step forward from the Adcom. Please keep in mind, I am no "golden ear", just someone who likes listening to music and loves how Schiit and some other manufactures have brought back 1) great equipment for reasonable prices, and 2) the idea that this should be fun.

And my follow up:

So some interesting observations on the different modes and gain between the OG Saga and Freya S. I decided to pull out my SPL meter to check listening levels on my Saga for my desktop system, so I could note what volume positions net me 75db peak and 85db peak (using pink noise). As I will often be at my desk for hours at a time, I like to make sure I keep the volume below 75db peak. Keeping in mind I did this with a handheld SPL app on an Iphone X, so it may not be as accurate as if I ran it with room eq and the calibrated mic.

On the Saga OG there is about a 2 db gain between passive an active, 2 clicks on the volume gets you within .5 db.

The surprise was the Freya S (running from a Gungnir Multibit with balanced to a Sunfire amp with balanced). From passive to Gain 1, the Freya S jumps 7 db. From Gain 1 to Gain 4, it jumps another 13 db, or a total of 20db over passive. This is way above the rated 12db.

I then gave a listen to both amps in passive vs active modes having calibrated the volume positions for each to get equivalent sound levels (well within .5-1db). Properly matched with an SPL meter, rather than by ear for levels, the passive and active modes on both are far closer sounding than my prior observations. With the passive, it sounds just a bit more laid back, a bit easier sounding, a bit less dynamic. When I say a bit, I mean a bit. That said, level matched, the passive is growing on me. (I am really sensitive to glare, I have tennitus that I have suffered since a child from a loud explosion which is currently being exasperated by a German shepherd puppy that feels the need to periodically bark inside).

So an important reminder to all of us, with a cheap app it is worth checking to compare sound levels to make sure they are in fact close and differences being heard are not just overall loudness.

I'm thinking about getting the Freya+ and diving into the world of tube pre-amplification. It's been interesting following all the tube and tube rolling threads. Have many of you tested the Freya+? I contacted Schiit, and they noted that they swapped out the tubes for the Freya+ now for JJ 6sn7. Schiit directly notes that "found these to be better performing than the Tung Sol or Sylvania tubes we were using before in every way." After reading all the tube rolling around Tung Sols, I'm curious if you guys have tested this, and agree that the JJ are just better than the Tung Sols, and other available options? No need to upgrade now over the stock JJ 6sn7? thanks!
i believe the Tung Sol is a reissued tube from Chinese origin... not that this makes it a bad tube, but not an original 6SN7 which is a beautiful thing ion the right circuit. I hope the current 6SN7 that Schitt sources is great as I will probably go the same route with the Freya +... by the way, I used some Tung Sol brown base EL34 tubes before and they are the stuff... mostly as they offer up a stout sound and last a long time...
Still very happy with unit. No problems whatsoever.

Liked the SQ from tube mode the most with my F5(DIY) and oppo205. Just to add, the speakers are tekton DI's which are driven very well, particularly on the low end, by the F5.

The JFET came in handy during the record breaking summer heat, also streaming from bluesound node.

Have not had the urge to tube roll. In fact may be done with searching for the ultimate SQ. Although am planning on dabbling with an Aleph J in the near future;-)