Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm...."

the Muse was about $10k new years ago, I paid $650 for it on Audiogon

What CD player can I buy that will hold its value and not be near worthless in anything more than a few years?

New or used.

128x128millercarbon
millercarbon,

If you're looking fort an older CD player that sounds good, originally sold for $1K but sells used for about $100 and is as cool as a lava lamp, you may want to consider a Sony DVP-S7700.  Check out how the front display moves down prior to the disc tray opening.  Pretty high cool factor, especially with a lava lamp doin its thing nearby: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49ZceNYfQXs

You probably won't even need to play anything to impress guests, just open and close the drawer a few times with the remote.  Hours of fun!  I still have mine although it's not used in my system anymore due to only playing DVDs and not playing Blu-rays.

The Shanling CD-T2000 CD/SACD player is also a well reviewed and amazing looking player:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/cd-players-and-recorders/shanling-cd-...

Tim
The Emotiva sounds like another legit, if decidedly mid-fi, example. Oh well, did not specify high end. That would all but guarantee none be found. Mark Levinson, of course. Even the remote is built like a Swiss bank vault. Never heard one I cared for but probably not going to zero any time soon so okay, we are up to three.

Or maybe four. Leave it to Tim to find the Shanling, a CD player so cool looking it might even hold a candle to my record rig. Visually, I mean: big ol’ feet sticking out, three transformers jutting out in full art deco architectural glory, uber cool flip up top loader lid, and a full complement of four TUBES, complete with George Jetson-like tube rings! Crikey! Nothing about how or if they’re holding their value, but sexy enough to maybe not even matter. Astro! Fetch! https://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/cd-players-and-recorders/shanling-cd-...
I am probably wasting my time but I’ll give this a try anyway.

Old cd players don’t appreciate in value because the technology is rapidly evolving. The Air Force doesn’t buy F-4 Phantoms any more and people don’t seek out computers from the 80s because technology has improved significantly since those items were the state of the art.

The format arguments also peaked about 10 or 15 years ago and most people have moved on. If you prefer vintage equipment, that’s great. I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it. Your anti-digital posts are old and tiresome though. We’ve heard it all before.

The days of vinyl superiority have passed. That doesn’t mean that you don’t enjoy it more. You obviously do and that’s great. Enjoy! However, I’m certain there are many digital based systems that sound better than your. turntable based system. I can’t prove it but there’s a really good chance that it’s true.

Enjoying music is not a competition. Criticizing digital doesn’t make your vinyl sound better or make digital sound bad. It just reflects poorly on you. Take the chip off your shoulder and enjoy the music. That’s what it’s about for many of us.
“Music is not a competition. Criticizing digital doesn’t make your vinyl sound better or make digital sound bad. It just reflects poorly on you. Take the chip off your shoulder and enjoy the music. That’s what it’s about for many of us.”

@tomcy6, well said!

The OP is a hardcore vinyl lover, he have no intentions to buy any CD player, let alone a cool looking one. Honestly, pursuing a CD player now is a fool’s errand. I would look into investing into digital streaming and continue to enjoy both vinyl and unlimited access to online library of music. 

Obviously if you buy used there won't be anything like as significant a loss in value as buying new.  I agree that CD players don't become collectors' pieces (and hence appreciate in value) except for the very first original Sony, for its curiosity value (certainly not its sonics).

Besides the consideration of $$ it depends on what else you're trying to achieve.  The Sony 5400??  Bryston BCD-1's (the original model) years later still command a reasonable price.  Logical to think the BCD-3's may do too.