$1300-1500 DAC

I’m thinking of adding an external DAC to my secondary system. I’m running a bluesound node 2i, RCA out to a Schiit freya+, RCA out to an Accuphase P-250 (beautifully restored) amp, to a pair of ascend acoustics Sierra 2ex. It already sounds awesome, but y’all know how this is... I want more. 

Im looking at a Schiit Gungnir Multibit... the price is right and it’s well reviewed. 

I will say that, in my main system I use a Simaudio Moon 280d and it’s awesome. 

Any thoughts? What else should I be looking at? 
andrewkelley
I wouldn't care much about coax output and sample rates. 

For me, another issues play a MUCH bigger role on sound quality and music engagement. To mention a few: gear quality and synergy, AC conditioning, accoustic treatment, location of speakers and listening position, recording quality, digital signal quality, etc.

Some called experts recomend streamer, or network bridges, with a good and clean USB output and then, if you have a DAC with I2S input, a USB to I2S converter.
I can't agree with them more. Thats why I've got the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo and the Gustard U16, both being VERY good upgrades for my DAC. Its right to mention that the U16 has troubles with some gear and some sample rates, but once you get working, it sounds superb. 

If you can, I would follow that way. I know some will say keep it simple, but I believe that the quality of the digital signal you feed to your DAC is FAR more important than sample rates and maybe as important as your DAC quality. 

Im pretty sure, eventhough I cannot demostrarte it, that my streamer+converter+DAC chain, wich costs around 3.5k, can equal, if not better, almost any +10k DAC fed by a USB signal from a computer.
I already heard two +20k DACs that, in my opinion, didn't sound according to their price level. One of them was a streamer with DAC incorporated and the other one was fed by a computer with Roon. Im sure, at least on the last one, that the USB signal from the computer was a big parte of the shortcomings in sound.
@plga ok, so I see that the SOtM sms-200 is on sale on their website for $450. I can buy that and use the node 2i in my garage system/theatre. It has usb out. The schiit Gungnir DAC has usb in. Something they have called generation 5 usb that apparently it’s quite nice. So maybe I’ll go that route. 

Please tell me me about the converter your using and what it does. 
Hello andrew
The SMS-200 you mentioned in offer is the regular one. The SMS-200 Ultra Neo is the one I have and I understand it's considerably better (and more expensive) than the one you are talking about.

If you want to keep costs limited, may be you could try the Sonore Ultrarendu that costs about $400 less than the SMS-200 Ultra Neo and I understand it has a similar sound quality. If you live in the US, may be Sonore can offer you a trial period.

You will have to consider a Linear Power Supply for any of them. I would recomend a cheap chinese one with Talema transformers, about $70 on ebay. 

The Gustard U16 converts the USB signal into I2S (HDMI cable). In most DACs with I2S input, this option sounds better than USB. There are several brands of converters, Singxer has some good ones, being the SU-6 their flagship, but costing about the double than the one I have, the Gustard U16. Some people on head-fi forum say the Singxer SU-6 has no operational problems like the Gustard, but the latter sounds better. In my system, the Gustard improves the sound noticeably, making it more organic, dynamic and detailed.

@andrewkelly,
If you want just a streamer and you don’t mind a bit of diy,
rasberry pi, allo digione sig, or usb sig, and the allo Shanti power supply.
that with the RME ADI-1 DAC blew away my Bluesound node2 and Bifrost multibit.

I just heard from bluesound support that the node2i will pass whatever signal and bitrate comes to it via tidal or Roon or whatever along to my DAC. The only exception is MQA which will only be 24/96. 
See below: 

Tony W. - Product Support Manager (Bluesound) 

Oct 2, 4:59 PM EDT 

Hi Andrew

When using digital outs on the NODE, with MQA we do have to handle some processing but that is only for MQA. With all other formats, you bypass the onboard DAC altogether. The output will be whatever the original file was encoded at.

I hope that helps explain it,

Tony