What just happened to accepting Paypal?? looks like they are trying to drive us away

i may have over reacted... for some reason PayPal wants to drive me into a business account. Looks like the fees are the same so not sure what that is all about, I'm just suspicious by nature

If you switch to a business account which is pretty easy you get a merchant ID, enter it here, and move on. If you don't want to do that then they make it very complicated to fill out forms, etc. I gave up and switched to business, made up a bogus business name and am moving on...
herman
Mitch
It may never have been general communication.
I only know for two reasons.
1/ prior to the change I once accepted a check to then be told by Agon I could not do that and only business members could accept a check.
2/ they offered me separately a business membership at discount.

minorl
"
Clearthink; Apologies but I am not misinformed. What I wrote was 100% correct. Maybe you should get your facts straight before you slam others...So, before you slam me, maybe you should do your homework...Until then, back off."

Ha ha ha you are confused, incorrect, and disoriented the site is filled with sellers offering options other than Paypal all you have to do is peruse it but I guess you would rather insult others and make demands of them instead of actually collecting information, data, and facts and I am very sorry to have to inform you that I will not "back off" fella.

eBay message below received today.  Merchant IDs are a way to track the sales tax you owe to your state if the are one of the ones that passed an Internet Sales Tax law.  The states could come after sellers on websites since sellers are responsible for collecting sales taxes under these new state laws.

<<<<<eBay email received today >>>>>
As you may be aware, 11 new states have adopted Internet Sales Tax policies as of October 1, bringing the total to 34 states that now require the collection of sales tax. As the impact of this tax law becomes more apparent, PayPal and eBay are making changes that will make Internet Sales Tax collection less complex for buyers and for you.

Starting in November 2019, the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance will change, as follows:
  • In states where eBay is required to collect Internet Sales Tax from buyers, order totals sent for processing will reflect the gross order amount inclusive of tax.
  • Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority.
  • A record of the sales tax portion of the order will be available on the Seller Hub Orderdetails page and through our Download order report.
Please note the applicable tax will continue to be paid by the buyer and you do not need to take any action.

We understand that the holiday selling season is nearly upon us and we are working to make this transition as smooth as possible.

Learn more about Internet Sales Tax in the eBay Seller Center. If you have questions about how Internet Sales Tax may affect you, we recommend consulting with your tax advisor, or our partners Avalara and TaxJar.

Clearthink;  You really are wrong on this subject.   Others have reported the same issue also.

Paypal is dictating terms and conditions to Audiogon.  Must register as a business and provide a merchant ID to list an item for sale.  Regardless of what form of payment you want  to receive.

Unnecessary.  It appears that Audiogon is leaning more towards dealers advertising and selling than private parties.  There may be some legal liability issues involved.  could be.

enjoy
You can add my name to the casualty list. Sold an item last week and the buyer couldn't get his Paypal payment through. I had to file a trouble ticket to find out that I had to add a merchant ID to my account. A few days later I tried to buy something. I couldn't make my Paypal payment go through. The seller is trying to check his merchant ID while I have opened another TT to get help. 
I feel sorry for the customer support people. If my experience is anywhere near typical, they're getting crushed.