TRL WON'T GIVE ME MY AMP

Not sure this is right Forum but I'm desperate. I have an  Tube Research Labs amp  that the owner Paul Weitzal made for me 9 or 10 yrs ago.  January 2019 the amp started to cut out,  contacted Paul but learned he had pasted away.  Received email  from TRL  saying  still in business with new Owners.   Gregg from TRL contacted me and told me to shipped it to an  address in Houston which I did, insured for $5,000.  A few weeks later around the end of Feb. Gregg sent me an email telling me the amp was over heating. The 1st of March I email  Gregg with instructions on what I wanted done. That is the last time I had any contact with Gregg!!!!! I sent email after email to TRL pleading for someone to tell me where my Amp is????? The last of week of August,  I sent an  email to TRL saying if I didn't hear from anyone I will go to stereo sites and tell my story!!  Immediately had phone call from  Leon in  NEW YORK asking me "what 's going on?"After explaining the situation to Leon, said "would call me back in a couple days". So needless to say  Leon never called back and when I call,  he is never there and leaving a message does no good.  I'm hoping someone can tell me what to do????IF nothing else, do not do business with "Tube Research Labs"
Thanks Kim
panheadscooty
Now I just Googled Tube Research Labs and up pops a website that to me seems pretty suspect. The products referenced are mainly the older tube designs, none of the very popular solid state (Samson) or tube preamp (Dude) pieces. I really have to wonder who comprises this dedicated group of audiophiles and audio design engineers that are supposedly keeping Paul's legacy alive.

While it may or may not have any significance, it's perhaps noteworthy that Paul's original website was at tuberesearchlabs.com, while the present site is tuberesearchlab.com (without the "s" after "lab").

I did some checking and it appears that the original url expired and became inactive sometime in the last quarter of 2017, a bit less than two years after Paul passed away.  And the present url was registered on 12-18-2017.

As I said, that **might** not be of any significance.  But it just adds to the suspicions Clio09 cited.

To the OP, best of luck as you proceed, and thanks for calling this matter to our attention.

Regards,
-- Al

I don't know how much your piece of gear is worth but if under 10K ( I saw your insurance comment), there won't be many lawyers who will handle this and you'd end up with almost nothing after fees and costs; assuming you get a judgement in your favor.  If you file in small claims court and get a judgement then you still have to collect; the Court won't be a collector.  I have no idea how much your equipment is worth. Something worth > 50K is worth a lawyer's time to try and collect. Sorry, you're in this situation.
I disagree.  A personal attorney should charge an hour or so to compose a letter and send it to TRL.  That will get their attention and more than likely result in a returned amp.
Know anyone in the local area where you shipped the amp? be nice to knock on their door and at least try to recover your amp in person. 

Maybe there is a fellow Agon'er here who lives in the area who could take a stroll by.

Is it considered theft if they don't give it back to you? may have better luck with the police if you can support a theft-fraud  accusation.  

in addition to contacting that state's attorney, I would immeidately contatc the local authorities and initiate a legal action for fraud with the county or city police departments, respectively. or both! this seems the first thing to do. you have an address, and formerly phone numbers you can provide the cops along with more information.

as it is as well inter state commerce perhaps in addition, there are Federal offices for fraud you could contact.

I do recall a member here that had sent along his amps to a similarly abruptly vacated enterprise, i.e., Thor Audio, for upgrading purposes.  reaching out to the local cops there resulted in him getting back one or maybe both of his mono blocks as he had their full description, serial #, and shipping information, receipts etc.

there was possibly more to that affair but the above info was conveyed to me by the person whose gear was made unavilable by the abrupt unannounced departure of Paul Marks.

GVery sorry to hear of this issue. it is the single yet remarkably devastating concern enthusiasts face with a cottage industry manufacturer. whose infrastructure is severely limited.  ood luck.