Any monitors clearly better than Pulsars?

After some recent amp and preamp upgrades, I'm wondering if it's possible to push further on my speakers.

Right now, I'm running Joseph Audio Pulsars, which I enjoy thoroughly. Because I live in an apartment, floorstanders are out of the question, and I know the Pulsars are some of the best monitors around.

My question is: are there any monitors that are clearly head and shoulders above the Pulsars, which might be worth a listen? Budget-wise, I could probably go up to $12k used.

In terms of what I'm looking there, really there is nothing specific. I'd say the same about upgrading from the LS26 to the REF 5SE; I wasn't looking for anything specific there, but the 5SE is clearly better :)

That said, I'd be hoping to find a speaker that is clearly an upgrade. If any other monitor would be a minor step up, or more of a lateral move, then I'm happy standing pat with the Pulsars.
rrolack
I haven't heard all the competing speakers that are about the same size as the Pulsar but it's very hard to beat the bass on the Seas 5.5in magnesium woofer.  I could think a couple of drivers from ScanSpeak such as either the 5.5in Revelator or the Illuminator or the Accuton ceramic, but other than that, I can't think of any.  But even then, they would be very close in term of bass output.

My only beef with the Pulsars is that, given all the praises, after reading the Stereophile review of the Pulsars, the designer advertised that he uses something called "Asymmetrical Infinite Slope circuit" for his xover.  OK, there is no such thing.  There is no "Infinite slope".  Cross over technology has been around since Edison invented the light bulb.  There is nothing new.  There is no need for the designer to resort to these type of marketing sleight of hand.  It cheapens his credibility.  It probably comes down to the woofer uses 2nd order and the tweeter using 3rd order to align the phase of both drivers hence the term "asymmetric" vs. "symmetric" in which the order of both the woofer and tweeter have the same filter order.   Using Asymmetric technique is actually a compromised approach since in order to use "Symmetric", the designer will need to rework the baffle geometry.

And with all due respect to the designer, the woofer and tweeter on the Pulsars are probably top ten drivers in the world.  So 80% of the goodness in the sound probably comes from the drivers by themselves.  He then just slapped on the xover and claimed all the credits :-)
Prof,

Extension is meaningless if the distortion figures are 10% at 50hz at 90db.

I have tried to look up the distortion figure of the seas excel 5 inch midbass used in the pulsar, in vain. do you have the distortion figures of the Pulsar midbass? the only way we can discuss objectively about the harbeth vs Pulsar performance is if we have those measurements.

the Harbeth midbass used in the 30.2 distortion figures however can be easily found, the Harbeth distortion figures is excellent.
Ive never seen a 5 inch midbass thateven come close to the distortion figures of a good 8 inch woofer at 95db.

secondly, you mention that the Pulsar spec indicate that it has more extension then the harbeth 30.2, which indeed is true.  You can find sone 15 inch woofer that will have less extension then the pulsar. But does that mean that the Pulsar will have better bass? not at all. having heard both, I cannot understand how one could find the bass of the Pulsar comparable to the 30.2. 

andy,

I don't find myself having much beef with your beef about the infinite slope claims.  :-)

Though I would say:  Regardless of whether the specific technical claim is true about the infinite slope crossovers, I'm personally not sure about how much is due to the drivers vs the skill of the designer.

I've heard/read from numerous speaker designers that the crossover design is one of the fundamental challenges,  so choosing the proper drivers in the first place to get what you want, and then nailing the crossover design, especially to the degree you get so many plaudits, seems like a major part of the process.

Btw, I can understand anyone not liking the JA speakers, personal taste being what it is.   I was just puzzled by the particular nature of the critique lobbed at them in this thread.

Ive read about people DITCHING their Pulsar's (Upgraded Graphene version) because they now have TOO MUCH bass for smaller rooms. Go figure