Maggie owners (past, present, future) what do (did) you love and or dislike about them?

I've always owned dynamic speakers, but I'm ready for something different. I remember about 15 years ago auditioning a pair of Maggie's at a small shop on the Plaza. Don't remember the model but I was astounded by the clarity. Couldn't afford them then, had 2 kids in college. Presently own a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 300's and they're very good speakers, but I've been reminiscing about the clarity of those Maggie's and I want a pair of the 3.7i's. Those of you who have experience with Maggie's let me know your love (hate) relationship with them. My room is 17 x 15 with a sloping ceiling up to 10 feet. Is that enough room for the 3.7i's to perform at their best?
mewsickbuff
mewsickbuff, take a deep breath! Your amp will do just fine. 3.7i' are not all that much larger than 1.7's they are just a more imposing image but in reality do not eat up that much floor space. The 1.7's are an apartment speaker. Your room is on the large side for them. 
Next. It is not that the imaging of 3.7i's to too large, it is that regular speaker's image is too small. It is like sitting in row 6 vs row 20. Forget about a realistic image of a jazz club with point source speakers. They can just not get you close in and large enough to be realistic but 3.7i's can do it just fine. You do have an interesting set up. If there in nothing between those windows you might consider putting your TV or screen between the 3.7i's and consolidate your systems. A lot of us do that. We put a screen or large TV between our 2 channel speakers and use our Stereo for HT duty. The only thing you need in addition are good subwoofers. I personally have absolutely no need for rear or side channels and nobody who has ever watched a movie with us has related being disappointed because of such. Quite the contrary. I do use a 113" diagonal screen and projector. 

audiomaze
Thanks for the tip on the new A21+'s. I mostly try to buy used but I'll look into it.

mewsickbuff
I understand. I spent a lot of time over on the Planar Asylum reading up on adding the electronic crossover. The actual process is fairly easy although intimidating to think about. The only trick I used was cutting new nylon binding post plates on a laser we have at work.

I listened to what was the latest 3 series speaker of the time, the 3.6, at the dealer where I bought the 1.6's. Yes, it's a pretty sweet sounding speaker and not that much bigger than the 1.6's. At the time I went for the less costly 1.6's (as I said, I'm cheap). I think you would enjoy either the 1.7's or the 3.7's. IMO - They are pretty amazing for what they cost.

Good hunting.

Jim S.

I had mg1.6’s in my 24 by 12 by 8’ room. The room was too small for them. Not to say they sounded bad, but the image was compressed into the center. Bass was not deep, but was ,very full and rounded and quite nice. Harmonic textures of instruments sounded real. I really missed a wide and deep soundstage, I enjoyed from my mini monitors with subs biamped.

i sold them and bought the smaller Maggies. MMG i believe. Things got much better, but bass was not as full. Imaging and soundstage improved to the point where I kept and enjoyed the mmg for several years in my room. Bass was a little slimmer, and I went through several subwoofers to try and find a good match. From HSU, to Infinity servo sub, to several diy jobs. I  finally found that  Yamaha, YST, 8", servo subs mated well with them.

They are great speakers, and if I get a bigger room, I will definitely move up the maggie line.

I own a pair of Peter Gunn modified MG-12s, and I am very happy with them.  They still require a ton of power, but efficiency goes up about 3 db with a new upgraded crossover.  Placement is still key, and room is still your biggest enemy.  One of the biggest improvements (to my ears) John's (that's his real name) mod does is improve bass.  It is not the slam dynamic speakers have, but it's audible and pleasant.  Speed, imaging and soundstage also improve.  I had stock version for about a year before sending them in for an upgrade.  Difference was stunning.  His upgrade is not cheap, but is worth it, in my opinion.  Plus the looks of the custom wooden frames are beyond description.  Check it out @ http://www.indiespinzone.com/magnestand.html  Working with John requires patience, process takes A WHILE, almost six months in my case, and there is a considerable cost involved, but if you'd ask me if I"d do it again, I would in a heartbeat.  Unless he changed his mind, he'll only do 1.6, MMG and 12, read the pages.  Best of luck!
I really want to reinforce what chattaudio wrote above. The magnestands are JUST WONDERFUL!!!!! I have the 1.6's with the Jupiter caps and my friends love to listen to them.. My girlfriend said. " jeeez they sound real".
Ok they do require a medium sized room and good amplification. I have squeeked by using a Pass 30.8 , however I am convinced that I need more juice. DAMN I hate to buy a new amp. Nevertheless once they magnstands are set up :the speakers are beautiful in tonality, resolution and believe it or not bass. 
The magnestands are a great speaker!!! 
Call John and spend a few minutes with him.
Best wishes
Charlie