5A Vandersteen

I am finding it a near-tragedy that this loudspeaker has been discontinued. It is/was a masterpiece (in my opinion), and was "near-affordable" for many. There are many great speakers to choose from, and this one was near the top. I have a pair, and mourn the loss.
rpeluso
I just spoke with two folks who spent considerable time in the Audio Alternative room with Vandersteen.  Both were amazed.  They do use the same top drivers as the 7's and also use the 7 amp.  they have the same type of HRS vibration control and that 3" granite integrated plinth is beautiful (I think it is).  

They both said that the sound is much much closer to the 7's than the previous 5's.  Full notes with plenty of air around them.  Both said they are the best under 50k speakers they heard at the show.  I found that interesting since neither is a Vandy fanboy.  
look the 5 and the 5a are and always will be towering achievements of sound and value. BUT the carbon drivers are pure water clear !!!! i know this AFTER living with 7 MK2 and the magical 5 parts in signal path model 7 amps. Yes the 5a will outperform the Quattro CT to about 100 HZ, after that all bets off, so it is a matter of taste and room...and your tuning...I continue to obsess with placement, vandertones, noise reduction, power panel grounding, etc.....fun...and the music just gets better!!!!! fun...BTW, the TREO CT is a real hoot....40 wpc NAIM power, drop dead easy....
just a friendly reminder i have owned and loved the five A...in rosewood.....with 7 filters...try those for grins sometime